Ryandor.com

Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:38 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:45 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Is ocean considered 'deep water' by the client ? Currently I am assuming it is.

I noticed dragon crashing when I flood the map with water, so I assumed I need ocean to fill, and then surround the land masses with a water border, else the coast won't render. What is a best-practise width for this strip of water in pixels ?

I also noticed the stupid riff-waves at the ocean 2 water border. How to fix that ?

Is it correct, that in order for dragon to render the coast, the landmass cannot be more then 20z above the water level ?

How would I create a beach ? I mean sand starting at the water level. I get blocky transitions, instead of a beach like effect. Am I doing something wrong, or do I need to do it with another tool ?

I searched a lot, but nothing seems to answer the specifics..
A good search string is appreciated as well :)

Greetz
Planet_Jeroen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:47 pm 
Slayer of Fools
Slayer of Fools

You should be able to find threads here about the water ad nauseum (answering all of these), but since you've generally helped yourself pretty well....yes, ocean is considered deep water. I would expect as much filling the map with water, that is a lot of static tiles (every tile to be exact). Generally 8-12 tiles is considered "OSI norm". Fixing the waves on the ocean2water border unfortunately has to be done tile by tile, generally in Worldforge. It is a limitation of Dragon because there are some hardcoded things and improving the coasts in Dragon is a matter of robbing peter to pay paul; there is no doing it right. To make beach you need another set of scripts (I coulda swore I included beach scripts?!) because you are not transitioning the landtiles to water, only the statics. I'm sure there are some floating arond somewhere. I couldn't give you a good search string, because I'm too lazy to search myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:45 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

at 0 grass, the coast line is -15, since you only have to worry about east and south facing coasts when it comes to the line you will have to compile it with the 20 grass but then go into WorldForge or another World Editor tool and drop the coast -5 for every 5 grass increased (just the light brown coast right up against the cliff transition)

so taking this into consideration, it would go with the table

0 > -15 coast
5> -20 coast
10> -25
15> -30
etc......

now, i generally round up when doing this so if its 13-15 i would make the coast -30 but if it was 11-12 id probably stick with -25 (it won't make too much of a difference from my experience)

Give it a shot, tell me how it worked for you (i know, worldforge takes a long time to work out properly but the rewards are without measure)

For the beach, use World Forge, that's all i can say, get it right down to the water

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:42 pm 
Slayer of Fools
Slayer of Fools

Hey Kronos, can you get some screens up of the different heights? I'm curious to see exactly how they look and I have no time to work on rewriting the water til I get ALL of the basic scripts ported over to the new format.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:28 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

like a screenshot of WorldForge? or what it actually looks like in game

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:46 pm 
Slayer of Fools
Slayer of Fools

In game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:04 pm