Ryandor.com

Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:18 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Map altitude problem
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:56 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Here are the tiles that are next to each other and the problems I am having (with pics):

1. swamp0 next to forest6
the swamp and the forest are at the same altitude. Also the swamp doesn't look right ... looks like desert or something (maybe just me)

2. forest6 next to grass6
the forests are higher than the grass ... still walkable though

3. grass6 next to cobble6
the cobble is way higher than the grass ... great if you want a sosaria turnpike I suppose ... I have to 'tele up onto the cobble ...

Plus UOX3 is telling me that my map0.mul and map1.mul have failed ... all of the colors are correct ...
I ran dragon mod 11 as well as dragon sp ... and that went flawlessly ...
What am I doing wrong?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:01 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

could you post the BMP file you are working on (at leat the relevant section of it) as well.. that way people can see what you draw, and what it turns out to be.

Dit you make moddifications to the Dragon Mod11 scripts ?

Greetz
Planet_Jeroen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:16 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Planet_Jeroen wrote:
could you post the BMP file you are working on (at leat the relevant section of it) as well.. that way people can see what you draw, and what it turns out to be.

Dit you make moddifications to the Dragon Mod11 scripts ?

Nope ... no script mods ... still learning the basics ...

Here is the relavent portion of the bmp (had to convert to gif to post):
In fact this shows all the places in the screen shots above ...

[UPDATE]
WorldForge shows the following altitudes for those tiles:
Swamp 10
Forest 4
Grass 0
Cobble 12
This would seem to be the altitudes I am getting in game but it is not what I created in the bitmap ... unless the dragon-mod11.aco file is incorrect ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:52 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

K...by just taking your colors and your reported altitudes, and comparing them to my color table, I'm possitive that your color table is not ok.

Best bet would be to use this link to reinstall dragon:
http://stormcrow.ryandor.com/DragonMod11.zip

Hope this helps

Greetz
Planet_Jeroen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:36 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

If UOX3 fails loading map0.mul, make sure you've configured it with the right size in dfndata\maps\maps.dfn.

By default, UOX3 expects the map0.mul to be 7168x4096 in size, as seen here:
Quote:
[MAP 0] // Felucca
{
MAP=map0.mul
STATICS=statics0.mul
STAIDX=staidx0.mul
MAPDIFF=mapdif0.mul
MAPDIFFLIST=mapdifl0.mul
STATICSDIFF=stadif0.mul
STATICSDIFFLIST=stadifl0.mul
STATICSDIFFINDEX=stadifi0.mul
X=7168
Y=4096
}

If however your map is smaller than that (6144x4096 for instance); you need to change the X and Y in maps.dfn to fit that size.

Do the same thing with [MAP 1], which uses the same file as [MAP 0].

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:21 am 
Peanut Gallery
Peanut Gallery

I do not think Dragon needs to be reinstalled. I think it is a palette issue. Are you aware of how the bitmap is translated into the map, cavalier67? It works by the "index" of the color, not the actual color itself, and somewhere in your map-making process, you end up painting a very similar color, but one of the wrong index.

How are you getting the color before you paint it? I bet that is where the problem lays -- you are selecting a color, but Photoshop or whatever program you use is guessing which color you meant and selecting a close-but-not-the-same color in the final image. Sorry if this is not very clear, I am having a hard time describing it -- but take a careful look at how you are selecting the colors right before drawing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:02 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

there is a .png graphic in the dragon/addon dir, with a colortable in it...using the color picker on that before you draw should eliminate the problem I guess.

Greetz
Planet_Jeroen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:02 am 
Slayer of Fools
Slayer of Fools

Planet_Jeroen wrote:
there is a .png graphic in the dragon/addon dir, with a colortable in it...using the color picker on that before you draw should eliminate the problem I guess.

No, that png is for reference only.
If he is using photoshop then you need to use the dragonmod11.aco as your swatch file to paint with, but more importantly the image needs to be usign dragonmod11.act as its colortable. My guess is he is using an image that is formatted for mod9, because his terrain is correct but his altitudes are not, and the color tables are very similar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:42 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Map Size Problem:
The map size was different ... mine was 6144 x 4096 I have expanded it to 7169 x 4096 ... but now I am getting memory address errors when I run dragonsp and occasionally an error that says 62<2 is not a valid integer ... I have already changed the dragon.ini map width to 896 (896x8=7168) and have reinstalled dragon ...
[UPDATE]
I went back to my old sized map 6144x4096 and changed the map size in UOX3 ... this time dragonsp had no errors ... what do you think is the problem with using the larger size???

Altitude Problem:
Here is what I did to create the map (I use photoshop CS 8.0) ...
1. Open a new picture of size 6144 x 4096

2. Changed it to Indexed color (under the image/mode menu)

3. Replaced swatches with Dragon-mod11.aco ... this gave me a nice chart to the right with all the colors including popup descriptions with the color name and altitude (i.e. forest 0)

4. Then I click on one of these colors to select it and start drawing

I just went back and redid all of the colors and still no change in altitude ... worldforge is still showing the same altitudes as my post above ...

Quote:
My guess is he is using an image that is formatted for mod9, because his terrain is correct but his altitudes are not, and the color tables are very similar.

See number 3 above ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:52 am 
Slayer of Fools
Slayer of Fools

You need to select the color table for the image itself (not the paint program) and use the act file. There is a tutorial with pictures on just how to do that with photoshop somewhere in the mapmaking tutorials forum.

Also DragonSP will only handle map0 and only in the old size, it does not support the new ML size.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:52 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Stormcrow wrote:
You need to select the color table for the image itself (not the paint program) and use the act file. There is a tutorial with pictures on just how to do that with photoshop somewhere in the mapmaking tutorials forum.

Also DragonSP will only handle map0 and only in the old size, it does not support the new ML size.

OK ... I did that ... selected the .act file when I switched over to indexed mode and the whole pic (a new blank one) turned a dull shade of yellow that I don't see as one of the tile colors ... maybe thats normal ...

Question at this point: can I now load the dragon-mod11.aco file into the swatches (as before) ... will that work ... seems like it should otherwise why supply it ... or should I use the mod11eng.png file to select the colors I want to use??? The tutorial talks about using a bitmap file ... but one is not supplied in the addons folder with mod11 ...

[UPDATE] Nevermind ... you answered that is a previous post to this thread ...

Thanks everone for all your help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:30 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

THAT DID IT!

All the altitudes are correct ... again THANKS!

I will undoubtedly have more questions later though :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:57 pm 
Slayer of Fools
Slayer of Fools

cavalier67 wrote:
The tutorial talks about using a bitmap file ... but one is not supplied in the addons folder with mod11 ...

Tutorial? What tutorial? Be careful about what tutorials you read when using mod11. Ryandor's venerable mapmaking tutorial while the general advice in it is still good, it was written for mod9 and earlier (I think Ry first published that with mod7). Mod11 was a major departure because I rewrote all of the scripts and I changed the order in which some things work or the proper technique to get the desired effect. Grassbumps and swamp for example.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:36 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

more than likely you're using your colortable in the wrong program, mspaint sometimes likes to skiwompify colors when you transfer them over to photoshop, sometimes even if you are just using paint (i sincerely hope not, mspaint is the worst program for this)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:49 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Stormcrow wrote:
cavalier67 wrote:
The tutorial talks about using a bitmap file ... but one is not supplied in the addons folder with mod11 ...

Tutorial? What tutorial? Be careful about what tutorials you read when using mod11. Ryandor's venerable mapmaking tutorial while the general advice in it is still good, it was written for mod9 and earlier (I think Ry first published that with mod7). Mod11 was a major departure because I rewrote all of the scripts and I changed the order in which some things work or the proper technique to get the desired effect. Grassbumps and swamp for example.

I was definately using Ryandor's tutorial (posted under guides) ... some of the file names were for older progs - I just figured that it was all similar enough to keep going ...
It is possible that I have read the info you are talking about ... in fact I know I have ... because I have read damn near everything on this site ... but what specifically do I need to read for mod11 ... I would guess that most of the info I have gathered is out of date ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:47 pm 
Slayer of Fools
Slayer of Fools

The important stuff should be in the mapmaking tutorials forum. I started a few threads in there that arose out of many threads here in the help forum. I even put helpful pictures in some of them. Main things to be aware of are ocean-water-land, grass-moss-swamp, and grassbumps are done in the opposite direction but also a different technique. Mountain making technique while not really changed I have a better method (especially with mod11) than Ry's old method that I posted as well. Otherwise most of the advice in the tut is still pretty solid.

Another thing to bear in mind is that punt is going to have a new version of mapgenerator done soon and I should have the scripts done for it pretty soon as well. It does everything Dragon does, and then some. If Dragon is like sliced bread, this is like toast with butter and jelly and a cup of coffee to boot!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:14 pm 
Posting Whore
Posting Whore

Hmm

Can it make french toast though? :wink:

Dev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:27 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

oh, it can make french toast and sprinkle powerdered suger all over it