Ryandor.com

Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:50 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: observation
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:38 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ive come to realize that the reason the coast's can't go higher than 0 is because of the coast right next to it, i was toying with my map and found that if you lower the line of coast right next to the cliff down by 5 for every 5 you add to the cliff, it turns out normal without the skiwompus coast where the coastline pieces are poked into the cliff.

what id like to know is how would i change the scripts to work like that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:23 pm 
Slayer of Fools
Slayer of Fools

There isn't really any easy way to do it unfortunately.
When I was rewriting the scripts I spent a lot of time examining areas on the OSI map to see how they handled the various situations and what I discovered is that there isn't any consistency...or rather that there isn't a 1 size fits all technique. When they make cliffs they actually place the static further out than normal. Even on a normal ( 0 land, -5 water) trans some statics go 1 tile out and some go 2. It makes it very hard to script. What changed and why I was forced to make certain compromises with the coasts were because some things with the water scripts are hardcoded in Dragon. Water transitions to everything, and everything transitions to water. Unfortunately that includes ocean.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:43 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

hmmm...tragic, ill just have to continue going line by line, bit by bit through World Forge

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:53 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

For my better understanding: you saying here that a +30z cliff to water needs a -30z adjecent water tile to display correct ?

Greetz
Planet_Jeroen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:25 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

no, if a 0z grass requires -15 coast (-5 water) then at 30z grass, the coast would have to be -50 but since the water would still be at -5 it would stretch it just enough to show the coastline.

0>-15 = 15
5>-20 = 25
10>-25 = 35
15>-30 = 45
20>-35 = 55
25>-40 = 65
30>-50 = 80

It worked after changing it inside of WorldForge (but the back of the island kinda looked silly, those values can probably stay at -15 coastline for every height since you won't see any coastline anyway)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:50 pm 
Slayer of Fools
Slayer of Fools

I'll be revisiting coastline scripts shortly, but for the next version of punts worldmaker mapgenerator. We have a lot more potential here to make them work right.

That is all pretty interesting, since it is another way of looking at the problem (coastlines are a major nightmare to generate because as you see the rules change in too many instances to make an easy auto generation possible).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:40 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

yeah, i'm pretty complacent with a 5 difference between the water and the coast (my entire world is an archipelago rather than continental/islands) so me making some higher than others is a simple thing to change inside of worldmaker and such

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:40 pm 
Slayer of Fools
Slayer of Fools

Well I definitly hope you will be testing out punts next release of the mapgenerator. I'll be looking forward to your feedback.