Ryandor.com

Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:27 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SUNUO?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:37 pm 
Master
Master

Alright so i have a friend who just started up his own business of game servers, well the only servers he has avalilable are utilizing Linux.

Does anyone here know anything about SUNUO?

would the scripts still be in C#? (MY main concern)
Upgradeability?

RCON?

Do you make it in RUNUO first? then port it to SUNUO?

Thanks in advance. :D

Why SunUO?

SunUO was made to address some of the major design issues with RunUO:

* SunUO is more stable than RunUO (exception handlers); a buggy script does not crash the server
* SunUO runs on Mono 1.1 (Linux, FreeBSD, ...) out of the box
* SunUO makes script compilation optional; a fresh install starts in about 3 seconds, including world load
* SunUO supports multiple script libraries; this helps keeping tidiness
* SunUO introduces a configuration file; having to edit source code to configure a shard sucks (ever upgraded to a new RunUO version? Then you know what I mean)
* SunUO is not vulnerable to the directory entry order faction bug, which may break all faction memberships and town ownerships in some cases. The RunUO team refuses to accept this as a bug, stating that .NET automatically sorts directory entries (which is plain wrong).

Most of RunUO's design flaws are deep within the Scripts directory. The scripts are not free software, therefore I cannot provide corrected versions. I am trying hard to keep compatibility with these flawed scripts, while improving the core.

Someone wanna tell me if there full of crap or if thats the truth?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:42 pm 
Posting Whore
Posting Whore

If its Linux you can run it under Wine but there are versions of UO EMU's for Linux. SUN is normally Unix based servers but should run Linux ok.

Dev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:53 pm 
Master
Master

how different would it be, i know nothin of linux/unix

It looks to me like insteadof .net framework Mono is whats accessed.

Is mono any different from .netframework?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:06 pm 
Posting Whore
Posting Whore

Well I've only worked with real SUN Unix servers and never in the programming area so that I'm not sure since it didn't even exist back then.

The problem with Unix is that each company has their own custom version so each one is slightly different which is why "Linux" was origianlly created, to standardize the format and usage.

Never really used Linux other than to putt around with it so I'm not really sure about either question.

Sorry I'm not more help :(

Dev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:08 pm 
Master
Master

Its okay man, your still my idol.

I take what i can get, and if i can get a Runuo/SunUO server running on a distant server for free....i'll take it ^_^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:57 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Mono = .NET framework implementation for *nix.
Wine = Win32 emulation for *nix.

*nix = Linux and Unix in every flavour there is.

Linux was not created because the unix'es where not following a standard or something. Linux is Linus Torval's idea about software free for everyone.

Linux refers to the kernel, the heart, of the Linux 'Distribution'.
The Linux distribution is a set of packages around the kernel. Fedora / Ubuntu / SuSE / etc.

Which distro you use comes down to personal preference. There is no better Linux. Just different.

A Windows user is used to boot from cd, set some install options and after installation, boot into the new system and configure everything visualy, preferably with wizards.

A Linux user does more or less the same, except that all configuration is done in text files, and mostly without wizards. Better yet, you don't need the system overhaul of a window system, and can do everything in textmode.

So the main difference is that on Windows you get away with not knowing the details about what you are doing, since most wizards can do the basic stuff without help. On Linux you need to know each and every configuration option, and the way programs relate, in order to configure it.

Kinda compare to DOS, except that DOS couldnt do 1/100 of what Linux can do, and DOS provided a very limited amount of commands to play with compared to *nix.

So when you decide to change to Linux in one form or another you'd need to read up. When you get the hang of it (I did that in about 4 months) you never want to change back, except for gaming, which sucks on Linux.

There are a few games ported, or compiled by the game companies for Linux, and this number is growing. The ones that work, run faster on Linux in my experience. But it's just no fun playing Railroad Tycoon 2 gold and some arcade stuff when you are used to America's Army or some other shooter.

On the other hand, a quick visit to http://sf.net would reveal a TON of free opensource software, for all tasks you would ever want to do on a computer. Free!

WINdowsEmulation does a decent job of running (nearly) all non directx Win32 apps. You could Wine Windows if you want to.

MONO = http://www.mono-project.com/FAQ:_General

Yes, C# is used on MONO.

You would still have to wine RunUO's server.exe on a MONO-ed Linux box. This doesnt make for great stability, cuz you emulate a windows environment for the server.exe to run in. Unless the RunUO server is compiled for Linux offcourse, which will probably be done if MONO is ready enough for the RunUO server to run.

The stable option would be to run VMWare on one of those boxes, and install a Windows machine in it and run RunUO on that. You'd probably need to recompile the kernel to add vmware support, but that's easy nowadays with the aid of faq's and howto's.

Regarding RunUO... I was under the impression that they are opensource asswell ? At least the core is. The rest is copyrighted scripts that you can alter yourself :/ I don't see any problems, but those being created.

So everything that is bugged, could be fixed by the user, provided he (or she) has enough knowledge to do it.

Hope this helps,

Greetz
Planet_Jeroen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:31 am 
Master
Master

SunUO is a core-modified version of RunUO, which means you won't get any support at all from the RunUO forums (not that they're big on support in the first place). The highly vaunted release of RunUO 2.0 will supposedly support MONO "correctly", and was supposed to come out this month. It's probably better in the long run to wait for the 2.0 release because then you might get support from the forums there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:53 am 
Master
Master

Do you have any proof?
That'd be awesome if true...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:30 am 
Master
Master

Well, the fact that my post is filled with "probably" and "supposedly" means that I have very little proof about anything. Things that I know for sure: If you mention SunUO on the RunUO boards, you'll get yelled at or worse. Do a search for SunUO there and see (unless they deleted all the threads, which I wouldn't put past them)... If you work with any modified versions of the core, they will, at best, ignore your support requests. As for the stuff about RunUO 2.0, look in the news forum there. They sent out an email a while back announcing the upcoming release, but I deleted it after reading it, so that's all from memory.

I still believe that if you're going to use RunUO instead of something that already supports *nix, you're better off waiting until they release 2.0.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:36 pm 
Peanut Gallery
Peanut Gallery

Planet_Jeroen wrote:
On Linux you need to know each and every configuration option, and the way programs relate, in order to configure it.

Meh, most modern Linux distros come chalk full of wizards, just like Windows. I installed Fedora Core 4, for example, and customized it at least as much as my XP install without ever touching a text-based configuration file.

Granted, if you want to do remote administration, which is not a bad idea for a server, you need to know a whole lot more, and it never hurts to know stuff, anyway.

*nix is pretty easy to pick up, though, because it is so logical and straightforward.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:12 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

What I love about it is that it is so efficient with resources. And even if you have fedora core, or suse 10, loaded with wizards, you still need to edit files manualy if you want to do something out of main stream. If you only worked with the wizards till that point you are bound to find the HOWTO's in the near future :)

But for all 'normal' non server related things, it's just as easy as windows nowadays, and a lot more educating in it's use.

Greetz
Planet_Jeroen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:12 pm 
Posting Whore
Posting Whore

*Sigh* :roll:

Yes I know who made Linux and the history of it. Its found all over the internet.

People really don't need a 20 page essay every time they bring up a topic...

[url]
http://library.thinkquest.org/C003740/history.html[/url]

Linux "was" a cheap alternative to the Unix providers but it was "ALSO" because there was no standard format used by the Unix developers. This is what made it compatable with Windows based platforms.

I have 6 different suites for Linux but have no interest in using it at the moment other than to experiment with.

Dev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:43 pm 
Master
Master

Well where do i find a good Server Host??

Im thinking specs like these would do good

Intel 2.4GHz Celeron Processor
80GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive
1024 MegaBytes of DDR Ram
10MBPS connection?

Im not expecting to get more than 30 players on at once, i want to start small and not waste money...

Im quite poor as im only a senior in highschool and ive been without a job for a month. But i have an interview tommorow and im confident i'll get the job.

I need a cheap reliable host...but i dont know whtere to look :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:34 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

If those r the specs you are looking for you would be cheaper off to buy a computer with those specs, and make it a server.

Only thing then would be your bandwith... since you are in school tho, and most schools have a nice connection out, you might be able to persuade the school to help you out there, probably in return for some form of education on the subject to other students who might like to play around with scripts and what not... ?

Greetz
Planet_Jeroen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:17 am 
Master
Master

Wow I love the RunUo Community....

You have been banned for the following reason:
Repeated bumps and reposting deleted posts

So they wanted me to start a new thread even tho there were 100's of other threads of the same thing?

Im having problems with my serverlist.cs and its wierd cuz i didnt change anything since i ran it fine over the summer but now no players can connect to my ip or DNS....

Code:
using System;
using System.Net;
using System.Net.Sockets;
using Server;
using Server.Network;

namespace Server.Misc
{
   public class ServerList
   {
      /* Address:
       * The default setting, a value of 'null', will attempt to detect your IP address automatically:
       * private const string Address = null;
       * This detection, however, does not work for servers behind routers. If you're running behind a router, put in your IP:
       * private const string Address = "12.34.56.78";
       * If you need to resolve a DNS host name, you can do that too:
       * private const string Address = "shard.host.com";
       */

public const string Address = "66.190.15.233";

public const string ServerName = "RunUO";

public static void Initialize()
      {
         Listener.Port = 2594;

EventSink.ServerList += new ServerListEventHandler( EventSink_ServerList );
      }

public static void EventSink_ServerList( ServerListEventArgs e )
      {
         try
         {
            IPAddress ipAddr;

if ( Resolve( Address != null && !IsLocalMachine( e.State ) ? Address : Dns.GetHostName(), out ipAddr ) )
               e.AddServer( ServerName, new IPEndPoint( ipAddr, Listener.Port ) );
            else
               e.Rejected = true;
         }
         catch
         {
            e.Rejected = true;
         }
      }

public static bool Resolve( string addr, out IPAddress outValue )
      {
         try
         {
            outValue = IPAddress.Parse( addr );
            return true;
         }
         catch
         {
            try
            {
               IPHostEntry iphe = Dns.Resolve( addr );

if ( iphe.AddressList.Length > 0 )
               {
                  outValue = iphe.AddressList[iphe.AddressList.Length - 1];
                  return true;
               }
            }
            catch
            {
            }
         }

outValue = IPAddress.None;
         return false;
      }

private static bool IsLocalMachine( NetState state )
      {
         Socket sock = state.Socket;

IPAddress theirAddress = ((IPEndPoint)sock.RemoteEndPoint).Address;

if ( IPAddress.IsLoopback( theirAddress ) )
            return true;

bool contains = false;
         IPHostEntry iphe = Dns.Resolve( Dns.GetHostName() );

for ( int i = 0; !contains && i < iphe.AddressList.Length; ++i )
            contains = theirAddress.Equals( iphe.AddressList[i] );

return contains;
      }
   }
}

Ive got DMZ on (tho i dont like it on..)
Ive got every thing port forwarded....
NO firewalls running
Current IP address found, using 66.190.15.233
sn4tch.no-ip.info....port 2594 I tried both so im really confused.

How can somethign just stop working after setup and i never changed anything?

Im banned from RUnuo tell tommoorw morning, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:25 pm 
Not your daddy
Not your daddy

If the DMZ is set to the machine running the runuo shard, and that is a runuo 1.0 serverlist.cs you shouldnt have to change the IP. You should be able to set it back to public const string Address = null; and it will auto detect both your WAN IP, and internal IP.

I have never had consistant good luck with that script, so id just suggest grabbing Mr. Fixits serverlist.cs

But, your grounded from RunUO's circus..

MrFixits Serverlist.cs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:48 pm 
Master
Master

Dian wrote:
If the DMZ is set to the machine running the runuo shard, and that is a runuo 1.0 serverlist.cs you shouldnt have to change the IP. You should be able to set it back to public const string Address = null; and it will auto detect both your WAN IP, and internal IP.

I have never had consistant good luck with that script, so id just suggest grabbing Mr. Fixits serverlist.cs

But, your grounded from RunUO's circus..

MrFixits Serverlist.cs
Dian's right, the default serverlist.cs is crap. Use MrFixit's, but you'll probably want to cut down on the number of servers listed. I cut out all but checkip.dyndns.org (under the "Load the Auto IP Mirrors" section). Several of the hosts listed in the original are dead, which causes your server to not auto-negotiate the external IP correctly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:21 am 
Master
Master

Alright!! well im up and running again i appreciate you guys for helping me

i make dumb mistakes sometimes...like putting the wrong port in uogateway...and its awesome cuz this time ppl can connect to me through only one port, Used to just have dmz on....

I feel safer..well sorta ;)

But thanks to all who helped me in this post.

(I kept the original serverlist) :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 11:45 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Spudz777 wrote:
SunUO is a core-modified version of RunUO, which means you won't get any support at all from the RunUO forums (not that they're big on support in the first place).

Glad I'm not the only one who noticed that, most people there seemed pretty elitist.

Anyway, I'm interested in knowing if SunUO supports multi-threading?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 7:18 am 
Master
Master

I don't know for sure, but I'd say no as a guess. SunUO was mostly just a slight rewrite of RunUO 1.0 to work around the API differences between .NET and MONO. I don't think they were trying to add or change any features (except for possibly full ML support).