Ryandor.com

Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:43 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Restoring The Classic?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:37 pm 
Newb
Newb

Is it possible to use the map0.mul, statics0.mul and staidx0.mul from the ultima online pre-alpha client and use dragon or other programs to bring it to modern UO?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:57 pm 
Not your daddy
Not your daddy

well, not really with Dragon, no.. at least not with any clean results converting it to a bmp image again, besides converting the real UO map.0 is stepping into legality issues on the user agreements.

Im sure that Punts World Maker would be a better choise for any map editing that you would want to do, that didnt have a bmp image to go with it.. Punts World Maker Site

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:45 pm 
Posting Whore
Posting Whore

There are several problems with converting it.

First would be that it would require a the pre alpha client to use it since the new client does not support that map size.

I think Syd, Xuri or Ry had made a client for viewing it.

Dev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:59 pm 
Not your daddy
Not your daddy

Yeah, i had thought that too, but I couldnt remember if the map size itself was different back then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:27 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

If you can find a utility to convert the map to bmp, you could then use Dragon or other utilities to change the bmp to the normal map size supported by the UO client and convert it back to MUL.

Converting it to BMP will be the problem, as there are only a few utilities out there that can actually do this and some of them won't work with custom map sizes like the pre-alpha client.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:30 pm 
Peanut Gallery
Peanut Gallery

The alpha map is 256*256 blocks, which is MUCH smaller than the modern map. You could add a buffer of empty blocks around it, though, since it is the same format.

The other issue is that the alpha map uses different indexes than the new map. Think of the map as a giant color-by-number. So, as a simplified for example, the current map has "3" everywhere it wants a grass tile, whereas the old map has a "2". The end result would be the basic shape of the map being right, but no tile or object would be correct (or very few would be). Grass would be snow (or something else), walls would be trees, trees would be barrels, etc. You could solve this problem very easily by going through, making a list of all the incorrect indexes, and then converting the old map's indexes to the new ones through a simple translation program.

Finally, there could be an issue with the way underground parts of the map worked back then. I noticed, while running around on it, that they used many more "underground" areas (below the map) than the modern map, and the client displayed them very differently. I have no idea how things would behave with the same map in the modern client.

In the end, though, you could never distribute such a map, since that would be a copyright violation.

Oh, and nobody ever made a client for viewing it. I made a simple program that turned it into an image, just to verify the format, but that is it. There are people who are working on an alpha emulator that works with the alpha map, though, and I wrote a simple program that allowed you to override the connection settings so that you could force the alpha client to connect to a non-OSI server.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:52 am 
Newb
Newb

Sydius wrote:
You could solve this problem very easily by going through, making a list of all the incorrect indexes, and then converting the old map's indexes to the new ones through a simple translation program.

I made a list of all the correct indexes, but what do you mean by translation program?