Ryandor.com

Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:40 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Grass Bumps
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:28 pm 
Young
Young

Searched forums for info on doing grass bumps and havent found anything that helped to much.

Ive tried multiple ways to make a grass bump and none have came out the way im trying to get it. Im using Mod9.

What I have is a chunk of land on 0 z and another raised section on 10 z
So what I tried is outlining the 10 z raised land with 0 and 10 grass bump color and neither worked so I also tried outlining it with 10 z grassbump then outlining that with 0 z grass bump and still came out looking funny.
It always comes out with a pit that goes below 0 z
Can anyone explain how to do a grass bump the right way?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:56 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi,

The first thing to remember when using the grass bump color is that it is always going the make your terrain drop down to the Z of the grass bump color you have selected to use. So really think of the grass bump colors as more like "holes" or "craters".

If you take an area of your map where your grass is at a Z level of 10. And make a decent sized circle using Grass bump Z 0 -- this will cause the area on your map where the Grass bump color was applied to drop down from a Z of 10 to 0 and will have cliff edging to cover the drop. Thus creating a cliff between the grass color and the lower grass bump color.

In order for the grass bumps to work properly you must always use a lower Z grass bump than the adjacent grass tiles.

If you wanted to create a section within the circle (grass bump) that raises back up then you would just use a Grass color with a higher Z than the Grass Bump color used.

I hope this helps you out. They can be tricky, but once I started treating the Grass Bump colors as "holes" or "craters" cause that's really what they create I found developing them was much easier.

Carl Hamilton (Imprint)
http://members.cox.net/darkshard/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:46 am 
Young
Young

ahh thanks for the info, what I was trying to do was have a little raised platform in a town with a grass bump around if for a cliff looking edge. wonder if I outline the platform with sand at a lower z if it will give the cliff edge look

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:22 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hey,

If your town is located near the coast, kind of like Britain is on the UO map, then you could make the entire town area using the Grass Bmup color with a lower Z than the grass around it.

If you email me darkshard@cox.net, I'll reply to your email and attach a PDF file I have that is a Terrain Tutorial which shows how to make cliffs, it will likely be easier to see what needs to be done, rather than just read how to.

Carl (Imprint)
http://member.cox.net/darkshard/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:19 am 
Young
Young

Is there any way to make some "Normal grass" to "grassbump" transition without cliffs (and without fixing it with WorldForge) ?

I would like my players to come at the top of a cliff by walking.

It should look like this (numbers for height, cc for cliffs, unwalkable):
Code:
00 cc 20 20
00 cc 20 20
00 cc cc 15
00 00 05 10

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:44 pm 
Young
Young

Is it at all possible to make raised grass bumps? Dragon doesn't seem to notice the transition to anything on the same level and produces weird results. Its annoying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:08 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Think backwards..
You can get the effect by using the grassbump color as the main color. When you want a little raised "hill with cliffs" then use the regular grass at a higher z value.

-Ryandor