Ryandor.com

Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:46 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:44 pm 
Newb
Newb

Hey there all.

I've been doing a bit of research on servers, custom maps, and such the past few days.

I've found Darkshard's site related to custom maps and their sale. I've been standing on the side-lines with this map making business for about 2 years now just because it seems to give me a headache whenever I read about it. Thankfully I found this site and you all seem to be a fun bunch of helpful people to work with.

My goal, map end wise, is to recreate Britannia during the time period in which Ultima V: Warriors of Destiny took place. Of course, the map is of similar layout to that of Ultima Online's Felucca/Tramm...but there are actually quite a few differences and changing OSI's map would be more of a pain rather than start a new one.

I've sent an e-mail to Darkshard seeing they're/he is interested in the project...but I like to have a back-up plan incase he's busy or not willing.

So, here are my questions:

I noticed orbsydia has a program, UO Landscaper, is it worth using?
The version of Paint Shop Pro I have is 8. Will that still be fine? (I couldn't seem to get the required color-table to work with it)
How many hours approx would it take to build a map the size of Fellucca and a seperate one (the underworld) using T2A?
Has anyone done this before? (From what i've researched - No)

hmm...I believe those are my map related questions for the time being. If I am the one doing the map making, I'm sure this isn't the last you've heard of me.

http://www.myspace.com/britanniadivided

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:53 am 
Newb
Newb

No need to answer my questions, I believe things are taken care of.

Thank you anyways.

http://www.myspace.com/britanniadivided

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:52 am 
Posting Whore
Posting Whore

Most maps take roughly 400+ hours to complete from start to finish. Depending on the complexity of what you want to do.

Personally I can make a basic map in under 30 hours not including cities or deco, that is what takes the most time. But then again I have been making them since 1999 and have scripts/templates that do quite a bit of the heavy work for me automatically in photoshop and for basic building construction.

As for the old Ultima maps, Darkshard has already done those I think and has them for sale on his site for $10.

All tools for making maps are good, it just depends on what your trying to do since there is no one tool that can do everything.

If you lack patience to wait in the forums your in real trouble making your own map...We have real lives and do not hover around the forums 24/7.

Dev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:03 am 
Peanut Gallery
Peanut Gallery

Dev Viperrious wrote:
If you lack patience to wait in the forums your in real trouble making your own map...We have real lives and do not hover around the forums 24/7.

True, but he implied his questions were answered elsewhere, not that he was impatient. Be nice. :-P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:47 pm 
Posting Whore
Posting Whore

I'm praticing to take Phantoms place after he retires! :twisted:

Dev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:49 pm 
Not your daddy
Not your daddy

hmm..

*educated guess:

Dev hit the bottle a bit harder than normal, spit out some words, and now tries to cover it up by that phantom impersonating crap :lol:

haha, either way, I liked it 8)