Ryandor.com

Forums
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 3:20 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: skiwompus coasts
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:45 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

alright, i wish i could do a screenshot but i dont feel like it, so ill hope that i can explain this to the better side of my abilities

i parse the colors (i do it in layers and im in the grass and coast part at the beginning of a new map) well, it parses fine through dragon 11 and everything goes as usual, i jump into the map and *gasp* my coast line is kinda ripped up and....well....skiwompus

the usual siding of the coast (those edge pieces of water, yeah those) seem to be underneath the actual coast so you see ripped up sections of water poking out of my coast and it doesnt auger well for the quality of my map.

now if i made any sense whatsoever, any idea on how to fix it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 2:01 pm 
Posting Whore
Posting Whore

Did you use the seperate "Water" color at the correct z height or did you just plaster "Ocean" color every where?

Check your color chart very carefully.

Dev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 2:27 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

well im not a noob at map making, i made coasts with the correct color, its just not turning out right on the very shore, the water border pieces that are supposed to be along the edge of the coast are underneath it so it looks like its got blue jags popping out of the coast

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:19 pm 
Posting Whore
Posting Whore

Well then post a screen shot so we can see what your talking about. Personally I'm still pretty new at this map making stuff, I've only done it for the last 6 years...

Dev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:35 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

notice how the coast line is blocky, glitchy, and the pieces that are supposed to be on the outside are underneath the coast

(pay no heed to the wood stuff in the background, i have my reasons)

p.s. sorry i couldnt get a bigger image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:20 pm 
Slayer of Fools
Slayer of Fools

Your coasts are too high. Unfortunately because of the way the water scripts work in mod11 the land has to be at 0 and the water at -5 or you get what you see above. Because Dragon has severe limitations on everything it does, I never designed these scripts to be 1 stop mapmaking. It was intended to make the work to be done in Worldforge afterwards easier. If you want to have high cliffs with the mod11 scripts you will need to make them 1 tile back from the actual coast and then in WF edit out the outer tiles of grass into seabed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:38 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

any suggestions on editing? or will i just have to deal with it how it is?

i guess i could just do some coast editing on the coast where i have it that high

will it work with 5? (meaning 4 or 6)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 4:30 pm 
Master
Master

Just make a border layer or two, in dependence of your current coast altitude. So if you have a 20 altituded grass on that island, make a layer of grass [0] and after that make a one more grass [10] - it should to work, but i not sure that it will be looking good. Counter-question: are you sure that you require a land of exacly that altitude? Remember, even if you already have any amount of items (or statics) in the area, you can decrease their altitude with '[area inc z' command.

"Be calm and silent, as Darkness care not of passions and lies. Be patient and cold, as Darkness exists out of borders of time and emotions. Just be yourself, as You are in the Darkness and Darkness is inside of you."
-Dark Ones Doctrine, 2001y (c)-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:33 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

my map is very complicated, that is a fortress island above a city and the otherside is mountain which looks fine being 0z but i wanted higher cliffs as to give it more of a defensive looking view. so you can see my dilemma no?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:43 am 
Master
Master

Yeah, i understand... the matter of trouble that your coast is too much high. It going up and so an angle between water and a coast is very big, so coast is so high that a water 'considering' it like a 'close to wall'. And wall is always overstand the surface that it on.
Well, i believe that you should to make a borderlines of lower altitude. So you get a water, then a grass 0 ( or a grass 10, ofcourse if it willn't drive the same problem) then grass 10 ( 20 ) and so on to your original altitude. Then use a worldforge mapeditor and change a borderline grass tiles to coast-tiles. Of course it will take a time to change them all, but i believe it is a worth that. Also you can border that island with Rock tiles so it looking much more fortified and you will no need to change a tiles in WF.

"Be calm and silent, as Darkness care not of passions and lies. Be patient and cold, as Darkness exists out of borders of time and emotions. Just be yourself, as You are in the Darkness and Darkness is inside of you."
-Dark Ones Doctrine, 2001y (c)-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:02 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

well i have a feeling that it has to do where my coast is going, i wonder if i stick a border of black (it only goes to 0 but still) around my border then the coast will start back one, this might just give it the fix it needs, but ill see if i can change things