Ryandor.com

Forums
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:19 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Odd Dragon Result
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 12:58 am 
We got everything cleaned up as best we could and ran it through Dragon a couple times and ran into a glitch on the world building computer so I downloaded Dragon Mod 9 and used a BMP file to convert to map0.mul. Using Inside UO, I checked out the map and found some rather strange occurrances.

At and around coordinates 1142, 2594 there seems to be a mountain with a mountain pass in the middle of the ocean. Neither mountain nor pass is on the BMP file and the area has been checked to make sure this is not something that's been 'transplanted' from another place on the map.

Also, at ~5773, 1906, there appears to be a dungeon map that we did not design. I think I have seen this design somewhere else, either in a temp file or custom map file somewhere on this site. I'm going to be doing some searching but I was wondering if anyone else has run into this problem or is it something that I'm not doing correctly during the mul compile. Any help is appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:27 am 
Peanut Gallery
Peanut Gallery

You just need to delete the diff files.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:24 am 
What "diff files"? You mean the ones that have actually have those locations? It would be great if I actually had those to delete them. Problem is, I can't tell where they are coming from. I don't think they're coming from any map on my system... the only other one I have is the actual OSI map0.mul. I am going to check that right now but I don't think that is it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:29 am 
Ah they are from the OSI Britain map. Rather odd. Then another question I'd have... is this a problem in Inside UO or did Dragon somehow locate my general UO folder and my OSI map and include parts of it into the map I drew or did Dragon not correctly overwrite those tiles?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:51 pm 
Posting Whore
Posting Whore

None of the above....

The mapdif0.mul, mapdif1.mul, mapdif2.mul, mapdifl1.mul, mapdifl2.mul and mapdifl3.mul are the problem, these are files used to patch small sections of map on to the main map area in UO.

If you rename these to, say...mapdif0.mul.backup then they will no longer effect your map and everything should be clear.

Dev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 10:40 am 
Ah, I see. Thanks. That makes more sense. Would that mean, then, that the server files would need to be renamed as well? I am thinking they would...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 10:44 am 
Peanut Gallery
Peanut Gallery

That depends on the server.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 3:02 pm 
Young
Young

Have you also checked what statics files are being added in? I had a problem with this, and just deleted statics*.mul and staidx*.mul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 7:41 pm 
They aren't static files. With Inside UO, you can remove the statics from the map view and the odd places still remain. They are there because of the mapdif files, as I've learned.

Thanks to everyone for their help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:58 am 
As I've been waiting for my worldbuilder admin to finish up the last bit of touches, I decided to do some searches and try and figure out a couple questions that have been nagging me and although I've found a lot of answers, there were a couple that either never seemed to be asked or seemed about to be and then weren't. So here they are. If they're not worth answering, just tell me to go jump off a bloody cliff.

DragonSP with Ilshenar/Malas/Tokuno: People have been talking about using UOCopy and such to switch the map files but that DragonSP doesn't support (yet) statics for these maps. Wouldn't it be possible to run DragonSP while the map was still in map0.mul and then simply change the name of the files from, say, statics0.mul to statics2.mul and same with staidx*.mul? Or is that not possible with some way the maps and Dragon work?

Ocean vs Water: I know this topic has been run into the ground and then some. Maybe into the "bedrock". However, I still haven't seen someone ask (or answer) what the difference between water -5 in Dragon 9 and ocean -5 in Dragon 11 is. So, I'm asking. What is it? Is there a difference? Does Dragon 9 not have "deep water"?

I will continue looking for these answers but the further I get back in the posts (pre-2004), the liklihood of me finding Dragon 11 or map2/map3 references are thinning out. Thanks in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:40 pm 
Posting Whore
Posting Whore

To answer the Dragon SP question you could simply add the flora (plants) to the scripts in Dragon SP, its is very simple to do if you follow the examples and key at the top of the scripts.

The map sizes are different for each map, that is why Dragon has trouble with each one. You take which ever map you desire and copy/paste into map0 then edit as desired till done then place it back in the proper map with UOCopy, so far this is the only real way to do it all in Dragon.

You can also take which ever world you come up with on map0 and cut them out and paste into any map you like. It works the same in either directions.

Ocean vs Water, in Dragon 9+plus you used the same color for both water and ocean but this created transition problems along the coast some times on the North and West sides (chunky looking blocks).

In version 11 it was split into 2 seperate terrains much like it is done in the real UO. Oceans are done up to around a screens width of the coast line and then they are painted with the water -5 which tells the scripts to create the proper shore line that looks much smoother but has limited elevations.

Hope that covered it all, if not just ask for clarification. If I screwed something up I'm sure someone will let me know as well. :P

Dev