Ryandor.com

Forums
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:17 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:29 pm 
I would like to run Mod 11, it has some very nice features. But I want to have Mod9+ coastlines (they just look better IMHO) I know there was some changes made such as the use of groups is not used anymore. My question/favor is this, could someone please tell me what files I need to change to make this possible, and what changes each file needs. The reason I ask is I have been studying the files and found that the file structure is scattered, what I mean is this.. if you look at the file

Mod9+ betweentrans.txt --- Sand2water.txt is on line 27

Mod11s betweentrans.txt--- Sand2Water.txt is on line 20.

Does this matter? or no. I see they are both 05 02 Sand2Water.txt

So Im asking if file structure matters. I will kepp working on this but some insight will help Im sure, Thanks guys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:57 am 
Master
Master

The order of the lines in most files doesn't matter. Without really delving into the issue (read: doing it myself), I think what you're trying to do should be possible with only a little work. My suggestion: spend some time learning what all of the script files do. For instance, the line you refer to: 05 02 Sand2Water.txt, means that for transitions from group 05 tiles to group 02 (sand tiles to water tiles), use the transition tables found in the sand2water.txt file. There are tutorials which show what these transition files do. Basically, all you have to do is recreate the mod9+ transitions using the format of the mod11 files. Unless I'm horribly wrong (which is possible), the formats aren't very different, and you shouldn't have much trouble if you take the time to learn what each file does.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:21 pm 
Posting Whore
Posting Whore

Or you could just use the old program...UOCoast which will create perfect coastlines every time.

Try finding it on Shardwire.org for any of the other archive sites. Its slow but it has never failed me.

Dev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:27 pm 
Well so far I have it working the way I want (For the most part). There are still one or two minor inperfections but hey I'm almost there :) Thanks for the replys all, I love this community unlike some, this one actuly does help you :) keep up the great work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:27 pm 
Slayer of Fools
Slayer of Fools

UOCoast bleh!

You can replace all of the water2 and 2water scripts with the mod9 scripts and just use the shallow water color (do not use ocean) in mod11 and it should give you the intended results.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:24 pm 
Posting Whore
Posting Whore

Wouldnt that kill the smoothed edges on your coast scripts though?

Dev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:12 pm 
at this points I had to change some of the numbers in the x2water.txt (from Mod 9+) file because it placed some of the statics of the coast line at 5 when the water was at -5... the changes made a big diffrence. I changed the 10s to 0 and that lowered the statics. Not sure if that was the right way to do it, but it worked for now. Im still experimenting. There was alot more I had to change like in the Maptrans and some other thinigs but so far so good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:17 pm 
Slayer of Fools
Slayer of Fools

Dev Viperrious wrote:
Wouldnt that kill the smoothed edges on your coast scripts though?

Dev

Yeah, but if you want the mod 9 (original Dragon actually) coasts you can't have the mod 11 smoothed edges. It was a compromise I had to make to get the results I wanted. Like I've always said, you have to be willing to do some editing in Worldforge to make them right.

Warloxx wrote:
at this points I had to change some of the numbers in the x2water.txt (from Mod 9+) file because it placed some of the statics of the coast line at 5 when the water was at -5... the changes made a big diffrence. I changed the 10s to 0 and that lowered the statics. Not sure if that was the right way to do it, but it worked for now. Im still experimenting. There was alot more I had to change like in the Maptrans and some other thinigs but so far so good.

Yeah, that was because there were some errors in the original Dragon scripts. I have a corrected set somewhere; I came up with the scripts that mod11 uses when I ran into the limits of the current way of doing them and what Dragon can do.

The first set of core scripts for UOL which were written by me (current scripts are written by others so I don't know what is left) are all derived from Mod 11 scripts. The big difference in the coasts is that DKnight actually was able to add in a secondary check for the special conditions that create certain coastline areas (because as Dragon sees them they are identical so you cannot fix 1 without breaking the other). It involves actually checking AFTER the first pass of transitions are done for a specific transition tile and then doing another transition on that. This takes the place of having to edit afterwards with Worldforge. Unfortunately one of the limits we ran into with that were not being able to properly transition a coast at anything other than a height difference of 5 Z (so you can't do high cliffs to water). Endless compromises.