Ryandor.com

Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:56 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:25 am 
Young
Young

basically, i was wondering if the only map currently supported for dragon was map0.mul (fluccia) or if you could also remake the other maps (Trammel, Ilishar, Malas, and the Tokuna Isles)?

i was thinking about my map over in the other forum and i kinda thought it mighta been too big, so i thought of possibly remaking it (smaller size, of course) in the malas, tokuno, or ilishar landmasses.

i also saw specific folders in "scripts" under the dragon folder relating to map0 and map2, but not map1 map3 or map4...

it would help a lot if i could get some help =]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:35 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Map1 used to be done with patch files in the client. In the new clients, tho, Map1 is now a seperate Britannia-sized map. So for Map1, you can just make a Map0 in Dragon and rename the files replacing 0 with 1.

I don't think the other maps are supported. Development on Dragon halted some time ago before those new maps came out.

Punt's Map Generator 2 and Orbsydia's UO Landscaper are Dragon-like programs that will both support the newer maps. They also use 2 bitmaps (one for terrain and one for altitude) instead of 1, so a lot more terrain types are possible.

Post subject: OTHER maps
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:07 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

YOU CAN MAKE the other maps .... 2,3 and 4

Radstar has a few nice utilities available for exporting and editing them. IF you MUST use Dragon, go ahead and make the map as if it was a Map0/1. Just make just it the correct size for the finished map, but locate it in the far upper left corner of a Map0.

Once created and compiled into Map0.mul file you can use radstars stuff to copy it into the proper map you want. There is even a version of WorldForge that will handle the edit for those maps also.

fyi.... I believe MG2 will do Map2 and 3

The real problem with custom maps these days is the clients. With 6.x, Map1 may be a snap now, but the base Z has been messed with on 2,3 and 4 making things somewhat tricky. Imprint and I had messed with it one afternoon. If the maps are designed at the normal 0=0, the you tend to get stuck in the maps. If I remember correctly, map3 0 is now like -30 and Map4 0 is like -90. try usiing InsideUO to check, I think thats how we had figured it out.

But I personally have all 5 maps as custom, so, yes it CAN be done is the bottom line. I would just recommend staying pre 6.x and make map1 a DIF file with the DIFMAKER Utility.

Post subject: Re: OTHER maps
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:30 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Pallando wrote:
fyi.... I believe MG2 will do Map2 and 3

I'm pretty sure MG2 allows you to specify the map size.

Quote:
The real problem with custom maps these days is the clients. With 6.x, Map1 may be a snap now, but the base Z has been messed with on 2,3 and 4 making things somewhat tricky. Imprint and I had messed with it one afternoon. If the maps are designed at the normal 0=0, the you tend to get stuck in the maps. If I remember correctly, map3 0 is now like -30 and Map4 0 is like -90. try usiing InsideUO to check, I think thats how we had figured it out.

Can you describe this issue in more detail? I don't get how the base Z of the existing map can have an effect on the Z planes you use for your custom map. Are you saying the client is adding or subtracting more Z planes to your map?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:03 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

What I'm saying HR is this... when you check the Z level of the given map in InsideUO its NOT 0. Map4 was showing z-90 when standing on plane old grassland. Map3 it was like Z-30. This is in client 6.x ONLY ofcourse

When I had designed a map4 and placed it into my shard, I would walk a step or 2 and either get stuck and not be able to move -OR- I'd pop down to z-90 in blackness. When we investigated it... we had discovered that the OSI z0 lvls for those maps had been moved.

say I think i'm at 500,500,0 on Map3, The client thinks i'm at 500,500,30 and walkin in air.... Depending on the tile im on, the client either won't allow me to walk "off" the edge -or- it always me to walk off and I drop down to the NEW 0, in this case -30. Once down there at the systems 0, i'm in total blackness with obviously no tiles and I'm stuck again.

But as I said... we place new tiles down there at NEW 0 (old -30 or -90 for map4) and i walk around just fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:49 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks for sharing the info, sounds like another KR compatbility thing. I checked the maps and the map altitudes for Ilsh and Malas have always been set in those ranges, so they just modified the client to (as you said) change how the client interprets Zplane 0 for those maps.

Weird that they should "fix" it by hardcoding something into the client rather than to just adjust the map itself. I guess it was easier to do it that way than to fix the map and deal with all the issues with players who were logged off in those maps at the old Zplane.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:35 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

It could also be related to the emu you are running. If the emu expects the "standard" Z to be 0 but the map has the Z at -30 then the emu could be misinterpreting things. Let me say I only know one emu so I am very ignorant of any others. I do know though that until the devekopers of the emu I use reworked the way it handled maps there were a lot of map issues with the standard map0.

Oh Pollando, if you could post a link to those utilities you mentioned it would help. If this is the red map copy people then I agrre that they are good tools but I hade trouble accessing their website. Someone else had to send me a copy of the proggy.

Titus 2:13

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:59 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

I've tried this in Run1 and2, Sphere and UOXC ... all the same problem.

The utility's are all on Radstars site

http://ultima.lonet.cz/

works fine, I was just there an went to all the download link pages

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:13 am 
Young
Young

its all in a foreign language o.O

at any rate, thanks all for the help. i'll be running the maps in RUO2 if you were wondering about that.

so once i create the maps as a bitmap and import them into the map file using dragon, i'll have to lower the global Z to the original map amount? how do i go about doing that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:42 pm 
Young
Young

Hairy Pomegranate wrote:
its all in a foreign language o.O

at any rate, thanks all for the help. i'll be running the maps in RUO2 if you were wondering about that.

so once i create the maps as a bitmap and import them into the map file using dragon, i'll have to lower the global Z to the original map amount? how do i go about doing that?
Ehm ... you don't know what's DOWNLOAD in english language :roll: :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:32 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Yep This is the site that my ISP can't get to.
*sighs*
And my previous post should have been "RadMapCopy" not red map copy.

But thanks for posting it for all those other lucky people who can get to it.

Titus 2:13

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:24 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Pallando wrote:
What I'm saying HR is this... when you check the Z level of the given map in InsideUO its NOT 0. Map4 was showing z-90 when standing on plane old grassland. Map3 it was like Z-30. This is in client 6.x ONLY ofcourse

When I had designed a map4 and placed it into my shard, I would walk a step or 2 and either get stuck and not be able to move -OR- I'd pop down to z-90 in blackness. When we investigated it... we had discovered that the OSI z0 lvls for those maps had been moved.

say I think i'm at 500,500,0 on Map3, The client thinks i'm at 500,500,30 and walkin in air.... Depending on the tile im on, the client either won't allow me to walk "off" the edge -or- it always me to walk off and I drop down to the NEW 0, in this case -30. Once down there at the systems 0, i'm in total blackness with obviously no tiles and I'm stuck again.

But as I said... we place new tiles down there at NEW 0 (old -30 or -90 for map4) and i walk around just fine.

Hey I was playing around with this today with the newest client and the newest version of RunUO and I think this problem has been fixed. The altitudes seem to be checking out correctly between "in-game" and "out-of-game" (using tools like InsideUO and Worldforge to confirm the altitude reported in game).

Can anyone confirm or deny?

Post subject: Converting Map0 to Map4
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:28 pm 
Newb
Newb

So I'm in a spot of trouble here. I can't seem to get my map0.mul to map4.mul.

I've tried Radstar's program, as Pollando suggested, however whenever I set map4.mul as my destination it says that I cannot copy to an unknown map, or something to that degree.

I've also tried UOCopy, but whenever I do that the map comes out in disarray with black lines going through the entire map.

I used dragon9 to create my map0, simply because I have a weird attachment to it.. So is there anyway I can do this without remaking my map in Punt's Map Gen2?

Thanks in advanced.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:25 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Radstar's program will only give that error if the map size isn't correct. You didn't do something like rename a Map0 sized map to Map4 did you?

The old UOCopy program only works with the Map0's that are pre-Mondain's Legacy (they increased the size of Map 0 with ML). Use Radstar's program instead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:04 pm 
Young
Young

I released new version of RadMap Copy with custom map sizes support, but you must know map Y coordinates (if you define wrong bigger size, program crash with error) and this feature isn't tested.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:16 am 
Thanks for sharing the info, sounds like another KR compatbility thing. I checked the maps and the map altitudes for Ilsh and Malas have always been set in those ranges, so they just modified the client to (as you said) change how the client interprets Zplane 0 for those maps.

Weird that they should "fix" it by hardcoding something into the client rather than to just adjust the map itself. I guess it was easier to do it that way than to fix the map and deal with all the issues with players who were logged off in those maps at the old Zplane.