Ryandor.com

Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:14 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Building Roofs
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 4:43 am 
Newb
Newb

Please share all your tips and tricks and any links which might help me in building intricate roofing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:42 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

A simple, but excelent, FAQ that helped me understand how to construct good looking V-shaped roofs.

http://www.ryandor.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=128&highlight=roof

Another pointer: Try experimenting with the lowest altitude (i.e. z=20 according to the guide) a little. I tend to increase it to say 21-25 in order to get the best result. The OSI roofing tiles do not follow an exact pattern when it comes to within/base height. You will notice this if you fiddle around with them a bit.

Also, "allways" make sure you have the sloping (decending?) part of the roof towards the longest of your structure's walls. This will ensure you do not end up with an unproportional looking roof. Since the increase for each row of roof-tiles is z=+3, if you have a roof that covers more than say 20+ tiles it will look rather odd. Experiment with it :)

Creating L-shaped roofs is a bit more tricky. Make sure you select the correct roof-type, one that supports turn-tiles. Or, if you are dead set on one particular roof-type, do the roofing in two levels.
For example:

XXXXX
XXXXX
XXXXXVVVVV
XXXXXVVVVV
XXXXXVVVVV
XXXXX
XXXXX

Where:
X= goes from north to south
V= goes from north to south

Sorry for the bad example.. Its kinda hard to illustrate without a screenshot. Hope it helps.

And best of luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:51 pm 
Newb
Newb

I would like to use the "roofing tool" included in Pandora's Box. Links to the Ayra guide are long gone it seems. I've experimented with it a bit, but I'm a still stuck on these issues:

- On a typical wall, what should the z be set up to? 20?

- Say for example I'm in a square building, which compass points in UO should I be standing on (I.e., west end then south end? and should I been ON a wall, outside a wall?) to pull my x and y locations into the roofing tool?

- Is it not possible to generate completely flat roofing with this tool?

Thanks in advance for any clues!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:39 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I allways build my structures with Mapgen so I cant realy comment on Pandora's Box...

Anyway.... The first question I have no good answer to, Im sorry.

The second one however.. As a general guide (and this is true if you wish to build OSI like structures, or rather, the way the designers constructed the art to function) to build good looking roofs, you should adhere to the "down: minus 1 tile - up: on the wall" rule. That is to say, in order to construct a roofing that looks as intended by the artcreators you should allways give a one (1) tile overhang on the south and east walls. Roofing on the north and west walls should be placed on said walls (the same tile).
In addition, as I mentioned in my previous post, try experimenting with the base altitude. For some rooftiles, z=+3 seems to be the perfect setting. This is not allways the case however.
(Where z is the base altitude... that is if you place a wall at z=0, your roof should start at z=23)
In regards to Pandora's Box... As I said, I cant help you with that specific tool since I do not use it. Hope my comments help nonetheless.

Regarding your last question:
Creating a flat roof is about as easy as building floortiles. I asume Pandora's Box has an option that allows you to fix the z placement. Simply put, it should be quite easy to specify a certain altitude you wish to add your item (in this case a roof tile) and then simply draw the art at that location. If this is not the case, I would like to point you to Multieditor by punt, quite a remarkable program when it comes to creating structures. It is avaliable here at ryandor.com...

I hope it helps... Sorry, but as you by now have figured, I am no expert-on-call when it comes to Pandora's Box!
Best of luck none-the-less!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:02 pm 
Newb
Newb

Yeah I think that will help some. Thanks! I'll play around and see what happens.