Ryandor.com

Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:22 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:26 am 
Newb
Newb

I still have a lot of tweaking and fixing to do, but is there any constructive critique I can get for this one?

I'm thinking to ditch the extra islands, but at the same time I don't want to leave all that ocean open. I'm sure there are other things someone with more experience might catch that I'm blind to, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:00 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Looks like Serpent Isle to me! Nice work. Is this a Map0.mul sized map?

Some of the islands have sharp edges to them, I would try to break them up a little so that they look more natural.

The star shaped isle in the lower right looks kind of out of place in the map. Cool idea, but maybe not the right map for it.

I know the little ice pieces are supposed to represent ice flows, which worked great in Ultima 7 Part 2 but might not work so great in UO, especially for those trying to navigate ships through there. Plus they will look more like little isles than ice flows.

Otherwise looks like a great translation of Serpent Isle! I did a similar map (only my version was about the size of Hythloth Isle) so I recognized the design right away. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:38 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Very neat mate. I think it looks cool!

I do agree with what HellRazor said about sharp edges. I allways tend to focus on creating organic shapes when I draw my maps, it makes them look more realistic. Weather, wind, errosion and time will slowly grind down any landscape, so straight lines or sharp edges will be very rare. This could be something to consider.

Another thing I allways try to think about is why I create a space (such as a forest, dessert or whatnot). Large forests are very neat and quite realistic but players might struggle to find anything to actuly do in it. The same reasoning applies to whatever part of a map you are creating imo. If one decide to put a piece of landscape in a map, it should serve a purpose, preferably several purposes.
For example, a large forest could serve as a landscape barrier between a mountainrange and an area of plains. But it should also offer something for the player, a special herb that only grows there or a monster that she could hunt. If you run an RP shard Id recomend you give the forest a name and some history too, but thats another subject.

Anyway, I babble too much... The point I was trying to make was its important to give the diffrent terrain features on a map a purpose for being there. If you find a purpose for them (forests, mountains, isles etc) you usualy as a consequence find a way to refine and improve them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:11 am 
Newb
Newb

Thank you very much. That was just the kind of insight I needed. I'll try to break up the straight lines some first, and then see what I can do with the rest. :)

Also, yeah: Serpent Isle on a Map0. I'm glad somebody recognized it. :D