Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:20 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Newbie asking for help
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:52 pm 
Young
Young

Hey fellows!
So, here's the deal. Im want to learn how to make an UO map (the brute map, and also the region map), however and dont know where to start. I know there must be something with BMP, but i dont know what it is...
so guys, could anyone send me an tutorial link or something like that?
thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:28 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Check out our local tutorials forum here on http://www.ryandor.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=11&sid=68dff57edb7a1c97e421e5505c395d65
It will do the trick.

In short (sorry its late here) you need a program to paint the bmp file. Id recomend Photoshop, its lovley. Second, you need a compiler and for that I cant recomend anything else than punt's Worldmaker Suite. Its awesome (and you'll find it here on this site).

If im not mistaken, there is a tutorial on Worldmaker over at the http://www.runuo.com forums, just click on "community" and find the tutorial section there. Not sure, but it might be posted here too.

Hope it helps a bit mate. I'll try giving you some more pointers when I have some more time. Oh, and dont hesitate to ask questions. We are here to help (althou it has been rather quiet here recently).

For regions I belive there is a very neat program/tool over at runuo.com called XMLregions or something like that. Havent got that far yet so I cant say :? Still working on finetuning the map and planing IG systems ^^

Best of luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:55 pm 
Young
Young

Thanks!
Im doing the trick with photoshop and only after my topic I've realised that there was an tutorial at Ryandor hp! :oops:
Im doing the bmp and probably I'll use Dragon (he's the compiler, right?)
is there any problem using him?

we'll use Sphere as the emulator so... XMLregions works as well on it?

thanks for you time! o/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:10 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I havent used Dragon so Id better let someone with experience step in with advice there, but from what I hear its a very good program.

As far as Sphere goes.. sorry again :oops: I have no experience with that either

Oh, but be sure you check the tutorials here for drawing the BMP. They helped me a lot when I started out. Also, there is a lot of very good info here regarding the most common mistakes when you draw a map. Things that will save you lots of time avoiding the most common compile errors (like faulty terrain-transitions etc). Tips and tricks so to speak :wink:
Most of the problems I've encountered during my days have allready been covered by other posters in help requests, so its rather painless to simply use the search function.