Ryandor.com

Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:01 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:18 pm 
Young
Young

hey! im relatively new to ryandor and dragonmod and all, so if this isn't the place to post it, sorry. Anyway, i've been working on a new map that will (hopefully) be used in my server. It has 3 major areas - Good starting area, Evil starting area, and No Man's Land. The two factions start at opposate ends of the land mass, and, as they progress in level (yes, there will be a leveling system =)), they'll get closer and closer to eachother, thus increasing the chance and encouraging pvp.

Areas completed
-Dungeons - 3
-Evil starting location
-2/3 Evil towns (orc [Kug'buk], undead [Dragor])
-Wilderness island (western island; this will be where all endgame leveling will take place. there is a portal to the island in the a'un tash'ii ruins)
-Summit Island (southern island)

so, here it is - note that its a jpg to help prevent stealing
I cannot stress this enough -
**DO NOT STEAL MY WORK OR CONCEPT**

so, go wild with your comments, questions, and suggestions. the more i get, the better my map will be ^_^

also, here is the concept map
the three towns in the starting areas with this one was reduced to two
also, the four towns in the no man's land will be reduced to two.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:49 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

I like the thought you've put into breaking out the different areas.

The shape of the island is kind of weird. All of the pointy edges look unnatural. For example, look at the upper left corner, the mountains are rounded on the inside, but on the outside follow an unnatural looking point. I think the map would look better with more natural, rounded corners all away around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:19 pm 
Young
Young

i fixed the problem with the dun gatour area already by completely removing the valley.

so, what gives you the inclination to believe pointy edges are unrealistic? earth has pointed areas, but not many. i could remove all of the points, but then the continent will look too uniform.

after i finish the area i am working on now (southern no man's land) i'll post an update as to what exactly I changed, including the dun gatour area. you'll also be able to see the a'un tash'ii ruins located near the magmatic (that a word? O.o) heart of the mountain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:37 pm 
Young
Young

Well, after taking a second look at my map, I agreed with you, so I completely remade the map and landmasses. Note that it didn't start out looking like Occlo, but I think it looks like it now (which I don't like, I wanted something completely original =/).

here is an overview of it
Note that I misspelled the name of the world in the first map. The name is Xrel (pronounced Zrel).

Also, Moke Island should be white, not blue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:19 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

I like the new version a lot better!

Nothing wrong with pointy edges, it's all a matter of preference really. It's just the shape of the old map looked very weird and unnatural to me. It looked like it was something that was drawn rather than a natural land mass.

The new map looks much more natural to me! I don't think it looks too much like Ocllo other than they are similar since they both have a large lake. It looks pretty good!