Ryandor.com

Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:11 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:27 pm 
Young
Young

Well ,I have a few odd spots on my map where there's a large chunk out of some islands, in (nearly) a straight line.. but then if you teleport to the other side of that "line" then you can see that part of the land fine, but the other half is now blackness.. Here's 3 pictures of the same island, all in around the same 2 or 3 screen area. the problem effects the island directly north of this one as well, along more or less the same line.

Now, I know what you're thinking.. "It's the *dif files" But no sirs, I've used both blank *difs AND with having deleted the *difs all together, both ways had the exact problem.

So what else could it be? "A problem with your map0.mul" you say, but nar, because the map looks fine in the .bmp in Photoshop, and also in Worldforge and Worldmaker.. So it isn't a problem with the map or statics files.

So it isnt that or the *dif files, which leads me to my current stage of confusion and crying in a corner like a small boy locked in a room with Michael Jackson.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. Almost forgot to mention. my map is using the standard 6144x4096 dimensions as well as the standard dungeon area size.. and the problem area is in the ocean on the right side, somewhat near where the dungeon area begins, but still many many screens away from it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:52 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

if thats running down the right side of the map that may be a client issue i havent found a way to remove this on my side, I just have a long black line going down there.

:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:08 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Are you using a newer client? The size of Map0.mul changed to 7168 x 4096 with the release of Mondain's Legacy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:13 pm 
Young
Young

Hmm, I had the same problem on my server, It come from the client, your map may be too big for what as been restricted in your client. Normaly this if i'm not wrong this is done by a limit line between OSI map and the dungeon to the right of the map. Since i'm not the one in charge of customizing our client, I can't really tell you how my teammate did to fix this problem in the client we use. But the things is, we didn't really fix it at 100%, because, even if the line problem in the map as been fixed, we still got the problem that no static show at all on the radar in that zone.

I hope you will be able to fix your problem, but the best way to do so, is to change your client, for one that take the widht and height of your map.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:41 pm 
Young
Young

Seems we may have found the problem..

It appears that our dungeon section is a bit thinner than the default osi dungeon section, and the default osi dungeon section basically begins right where that buggyness is..

Now I've seen a LOT of custom maps that don't have standard dungeon section configurations, so I'm thinking theres a setting or a command somewhere to resize the dungeon section settings or what have you.

If anyone knows, the info would make me love you long time, soldiah boy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:48 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

You might have some luck experimenting with sector editing the client. Take a look at BMX's tutorial on custom map sizes and wrap points:

http://www.ryandor.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2775

Although the tutorial is mainly for custom map sizes, it also talks about wrap points for the dungeons which would be what you are looking for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:19 am 
Young
Young

My scripter fellow did try that after i found that thread, and it did work.. But it seems to create a secondary problem..

Now, when we login using the edited client, all areas of forest on the map are now snow, and all the trees in the forest area have white foliage. Oddly it looks SIGNIFICANTLY better than what the winter season setting does (as that has hideously ugly and square lines around the edges of the snow it creates), however season settings don't effect it, and it just seems to be some unfixable side effect.

I had the same problem once before when i downloaded a version of uo that had an edited client, only way to fix it was to download another copy of it elsewhere. So while editing the client does fix our messed up dungeon section settings, it seems to plunge us into nuclear winter.

Once again, any help = love.

P.S. On a side note, if anyone knows how to make that snow and tree bug be something we can turn on and off as a season (rather than using the horrible looking default winter setting) that'd be awesome as well.. It's just not awesome when it's there and you can't get rid of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:27 am 
Young
Young

He seems to have found a way to edit the client which fixes the initial problem and does not end in nuclear winter.

So thanks for all the help, guys.

I still think it'd be interesting to figure out how to make the winter season do THAT (cause it transitions perfectly) instead of the way it normally works (where all the transition tiles get cut off and the snow ends in square tiles).. But if not, then I'm just happy enough to have the damn map not have a hole to the abyss on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:35 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

If it's a newer client, the reason is that OSI has done some funky hardcoded stuff to change forest terrain to winter. I imagine they will patch that back out soon.