Ryandor.com

Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:04 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:04 pm 
Young
Young

Hello, all. I've checked the posts on the forums to see if I could find a solution to my problem, but I'm still stumped. I have a map I'm currently making, and everything is going well save for the coastlines. They have the jagged effect no matter what I do.

All the coast is either grass 0 or sand 0, with as much as 20-25 tiles of Water -5 surrounding them, before turning into Ocean -5.

After designing the map, and running Dragon, I run DragonSP with "all" selected, which unfreezes all statics and does it's thing. I replace all the three files (staidx0.mul, statics0.mul, and map0.mul) each and every time I compile the map, so I am not forgetting any of those files.

I would be willing to use Worldforge to fix the coastlines, but I am having problems getting Worldforge to work properly, and am wondering if there is a simpler method I can use. If not, you can expect me to be asking for some Worldforge help here shortly after, that's for sure.

I'd appreciate your help, guys. I know you'll come through, being such an awesome community.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:29 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Is it the entire coastline, or only certain parts of the coastline?

I believe you need at least 3 pixels of coastline to make a proper transition (someone correct me on this if I am wrong).

Also, there are certain corners that won't transition correctly due to a shortcoming in Dragon. Those corners need to be fixed manually in a program like Worldforge.

If you search on "coast" or "coastline" you will probably turn up some posts on these 2 issues.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:19 am 
Young
Young

I'll take some screenshots, host them, and post them here tomorrow morning if I can. It's more or less all the coastline, which doesn't make sense.. as I've combed these forums for answers and learned about the problems other people were having in not running SP, running it improperly, using wrong color tables (I am using Dragon11, and the color tables for 11 that came with it), altitude problems, and so forth.

I can't figure out what I am doing wrong.

Blah. Stay tuned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:31 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

I'm not sure is Mod 11 has any issues or not, someone can probably post about that.

You might also want to try compiling the map with Dragon Mod 9+. That seems to be what most people use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:49 am 
Young
Young

Ah crap. That would mean I'd have to go back and redo-the colors using the mod 9 color tables, yes? If so, I am willing to do it.. if I know that Mod 9 will work the coasts out.

I am about to switch to MapGenerator 2 if I have to. I am pretty early in the development, and the actual painting process doesn't bother me any. Now, if I'd already done all the intricate details, I'd probably be miffed, but I've only a weeks worth of layout and general shaping done, much of which was spent learning and getting comfortable with it.

Gonna upload screens in a minute.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:12 pm 
Young
Young

Here is a small overview of the general map layout currently, in these very early (first week) stages:

http://img517.imageshack.us/my.php?image=exnoctisoverviewsq1.jpg

Here is a zoomed in view of the general area I've been tinkering with, and which is represented in the first two pictures. The beach/sand is elevated, but I grade it down to Sand 0 right at the waterline about two pixels worth. So it's not a sand/water altitude problem. The water is Water -5 all around the coastline, then Ocean -5 further out. All the grass is Grass 0. Both the sand and grass have coastal problems.

http://img160.imageshack.us/my.php?image=exnoctisoverviewzoomdx8.jpg

And here are my stunningly craptastic coastlines.

http://img123.imageshack.us/my.php?image=badcoast1tf0.jpg

http://img123.imageshack.us/my.php?image=badcoast2cs9.jpg

http://img123.imageshack.us/my.php?image=badcoast3wv2.jpg

This is all using DragonMod 11, with the DragonMod11.aco color tables. I compile it with Dragon, run DragonSP with all selected, and I unfreeze statics. Occurs fairly quickly, as there isn't much to freeze/unfreeze, really. Then I replace my 3 files (staidx, statics, and map) as necessary, run the server.. and witness the above.

Every time.

Help!

Edit: Why the hell don't image tags work? Bah. God hates me.[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:19 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Before converting the entire map to Mod9, I'd try just making a copy with just the basic land masses just to test out the coasts.

Hopefully someone with more experience with Dragon (and Mod 11 in particular) will see this and post too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:42 pm 
Young
Young

As this issue with Dragon 11 been fixed?

I was using it and gave up because I had the same crappy coastlines. I am going to start a new project soon, and am thinking of switching to Dragon 9 if it gives me better coasts.

What do the experts think?
________
Sdr 200

Last edited by stranf on Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:58 pm 
Young
Young

Honestly, if this hasn't been fixed, and I end up revamping - I'm probably just going to go over to MapGenerator 2. From what I've heard people say here, it's newer, can end up doing more.. and will be more supported.

Hrm. Which one should I choose? Honestly, I'm willing to pursue either, just as long as I know I won't regret it later on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:40 am 
Young
Young

Well, I just figured out how to use photoshop (and got ok at painting believable worlds), if map gen 2 uses a .bmp similar to Dragon, I might just try it out.

I just downloaded the dragon 9.zip files in the files section. I figure if I'm going to start over, I will do it with Dragon 9. I couldn't see map gen 2. Where do you get it?
________
Toyota Ae86

Last edited by stranf on Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:39 am 
Young
Young

Alright. I've simply switched over to MapGen 2, and the coastlines are great. Beach/shallow water transitions don't work, which is kind of bothersome, but maybe I can fix those up later in another program? Not sure, would need a response here to clarify that. For now, I'll just figure out another method.

In response to stranf, yes.. MapGenerator 2 uses a .bmp file. However, it uses two seperate files that you modify independently, which work together to create your map. First is your Terrain Map, which has a palette (terrain.aco) for laying out where your different land-types (grass, water, mountains, shallow water, forest, etc) will be. Secondly, you have an Altitude Map, which only has the basic terrain shape/features you painted. You have an altitude.aco swatch that you use to paint the elevations and de-elevations.

When you run the MapGenerator, it combines these two files, generating the terrain, then the altitudes for that terrain, and then you have your map. It might sound complicated, but it's actually fairly straightforward and offers you more control. You don't have to paint Grass 0, then Grass 2, then Grass 3, then Grass 4.. on your terrain map - just grass. The altitude map will cover the rest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:24 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Glad you are liking MapGen2, it's probably one of the best paint-to-map tools out there right now. It has all of the benefits of UO Landscaper but none of UOL's drawbacks.

The beach-to-water transitions are the only MAJOR transitions that aren't yet done. If you do end up writing those, please post them so punt can incorporate them into the standard transition set!

As I am new to MapGen2 as well I'd be interested in hearing your findings as you further generate your map.

I have a Dragon-to-MapGen2 image converter I am working on but its not quite ready for release yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:35 am 
Young
Young

Me? Write transitions? Hah. I barely comprehend how to increase density of static spawns based on those text files, and that was with Dragon. I have yet to need to do that in MapGen, but .. when the time comes, who knows.

If you explain how to write transitions, I might be able to take the time to do it. But if it involves.. coding-ish stuff, we're out of luck. =P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 6:26 am 
Newb
Newb

Sorry for hijacking, but i noticed that u guys have managed to get Ocean tiles using Dragon 9?? Correct?? I have been pulling my hair out over this, please confirm that if you go fishing here it is deep water, or that u can use a fishing net in this 'deep water'. No matter what i have tried my water is ALWAYS SHALLOW! I use the colour for ocean -5 which i believe is Blue 102.... But Dragon mod9 tells me blue 102 is Shallow water.... Please give some advice on what to do. Thanks.