Ryandor.com

Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:13 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Map Gen 2 (and dragon)
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:39 am 
Young
Young

i know i must get annoying asking these questions, but i can't figure this out. I made a map using adobe, it's the correct format and everything, and it comes out okay, the only problem is wherever i put the shallow water, or in dragon's case water -5 it comes out being like sand or something -15 and this happens in both versions, map gen 2 and dragon 11. does anyone know what i did wrong, or maybe i need to just not put in shallow and edit the shores completely in world forge, which will take forever...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:21 am 
Master
Master

Usually if you get brown tiles around your landmasses where shallow water should go, it's because Static Patch (for Dragon) wasn't run. That's what puts those tiles down.

I can't help with MapGen, as I haven't tried that one yet.

-Goldrush

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:27 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Yep that's what it sounds like!

The shallow water directly surrounding coastlines are part of the statics, not the map. So if you generated your map and didn't generate the statics you'll get what you described.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:48 pm 
Young
Young

thanks guys, i can't run dragonsp to test that theory, but i will tomorrow when i get home, and get abck to you on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:31 pm 
Young
Young

okay, i finally got a chance to use dragonsp, and it worked so far, the coasts need some sand and such to make em look more..coast like, but other than that, the coasts are fine. the only problem i have now is that the z is all over the place, i might stand in one spot, and it's z 20 but i walk 2 steps and it goes from 20 to 10 and i'm stuck in the ground. is there some way to fix this without losing my map? the only thing i've done so far is design the basic outline of it, but getting the shape perfect took me awhile as it is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:22 am 
Posting Whore
Posting Whore

Ouch...

Check your brushes in the art program your using and retrace your .bmp. If the hardness is not 100% along with Opacity and flow also make sure that mode is set to "normal" otherwise you can end up wish off shaded tiles when your painting your map.

If everything in your map except for the coast is good then that is most likely not the problem. If this be the case then just redo the outer edge of the map and it should be fine.

Dev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:06 am 
Young
Young

ic an't swear to it from here, but i remember looking at my endges, not investigating liek sherlock mind you, but checking to make sure they were somewhat smooth, and thye were pretty much perfect. i don't remember any of them being super out of whack, but i will go voer them with some new brushes, and use the brushes that came with dragon for that matter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:14 am 
Master
Master

Also make sure "anti-aliasing" is turned OFF when you paint your terrain, as that will make the colors "blend" when they meet, which would give you altering altitudes like that.

Just my two cents.. :)

-Goldrush

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:02 am 
Young
Young

thanks for the spare change, but where do i turn that setting off at, i got adobe paintshop 8.0 cs or whatever, and i can't find it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:06 am 
Master
Master

I've never found a button for it, like in Photopaint...but, if you use the "pencil" tool instead of the "paintbrush", it does the same thing...with sharp edges instead of feathered.

Hope this helps. :)

-CMS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:46 pm 
Young
Young

okay, i tried the brushes, and now it's somwhat fixed, but it still does z problems, and the coast is all jagged, and not up high enough, should i try a different grass color?