Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:37 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My invisible structures
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:54 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hello everyone.
I just managed to generate my first map with Map Gen, after a lot of trial and error :oops: . Had some problems learning Punt's tools, but by the time I got a hang of the Multieditor and began with my map it was smooth sailing. Awesome stuff this WM!

I'm having a problem thou. Might be cause I missed something fundamental, however I am stuck.
Basicly, I fire up the WM Map Editor and import (or copy/paste) my mlts.
This is where something goes wrong. First of all, sometimes when I save and close the map only to reopen it, the structures I just placed are gone.
I have somehow managed to save the 2 structures I tested so far now thou.
Is it an issue with the "Dif Save"? Im not sure what that means.

Anyway. I log on to my shard and something even more wierd happens. I cant se the structures, but I cant walk where they are suposed to be either, so I know they are there :cry:

Basic setup:
RunUO (latest)
Razor
Tokuno map (mul4)

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:06 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

It is critical to understand the way edits can be saved into the muls. The choice affects long term decisions on how one is going to run ones shard, and the implications for any future edit.

Data for a map is stored in map#.mul, statics#.mul, and staidx#.mul.
UO allows for modifications without changing these files, through a dif file concept. This approach is used to achieve differences between map0 and map1 (map 1 uses the map0 base map#, statics#,and staidx# files).

So, if one is going to store edits in the base file, one should not have dif files (or have them zero), for the map one is editing. If one wants to save to difs, then these files should be present (if not, on save, they will be made). If one saves to the base file, recoginze, the dif file may be overriding any edits. On can decide to go to dif files later, and start out with no difs. But the other way around is not supported.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:53 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Ah I se, many thanks punt. I think I understand the concept of difs now, and safe to say I wont be fiddling with them. Managed to get my structure firmly placed on the map just now :)
Now im off to create housing and finish the map!