Ryandor.com

Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:10 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:12 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Ok, how do I deal with a map that has land wrapping around without having it look like total crap? If I can't find a good way to do this I'm gonna have to scrap my map and just start over. Most people use continents completely surrounded by water, and thus all the borders of their maps are made of water.

Land has other issues though. For one thing it's easier to notice the terrain changes when crossing a border. Then of course theres houses on the border, NPCs on the borders, etc... Any ideas? Any technology? Haven't worked on UO in a month and a half.

Also, just a quick question, but I asked a long time ago if it was possible to make colored static water tiles using MapGenerator, and I forgot what the answer to this was. Example: Having fresh Blue water and Sea Green water.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:58 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Nebu wrote:
Also, just a quick question, but I asked a long time ago if it was possible to make colored static water tiles using MapGenerator, and I forgot what the answer to this was. Example: Having fresh Blue water and Sea Green water.

The OSI format for terrain tiles does not support hueing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:13 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

So....

Patch in Sea-green tiles :P

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:03 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

punt1959 wrote:
Nebu wrote:

Except that's not what I'm talking about at all. I'm talking about static shoreline tiles, which can be hued, and using that as entire ocean.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:15 pm 
Master
Master

Nebu wrote:
punt1959 wrote:
Nebu wrote:

Except that's not what I'm talking about at all. I'm talking about static shoreline tiles, which can be hued, and using that as entire ocean.

That's one hell of a lot of statics, for a standard map... I guess it's possible, but patching that to your players will be rough...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:43 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Spudz777 wrote:
Nebu wrote:
punt1959 wrote:
Nebu wrote:

That's one hell of a lot of statics, for a standard map... I guess it's possible, but patching that to your players will be rough...

Don't worry man I'll give them some lube I just want to know how to DO it

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:46 pm 
Master
Master

Nebu wrote:
Don't worry man I'll give them some lube I just want to know how to DO it

Ouch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:06 pm 
Not your daddy
Not your daddy

Nebu, its possible. (im a little behind with map generator atm)
First, I am pretty sure you can assign a hue to a static item (art). So right now, since there is no existing methods avaliable, you would need to create a custom entry in terrain.xml that would be for your 'green' water. You would then need to create a custom transition, where rather than map water tiles, you would use art (static item) with a hue property of green. You would also have to include the water edge tiles, hued green as well, for your transition to dirt.. grass, whatever you need.

I cant explain how to create this custom transition atm because I have not worked with map generator in several weeks.. and brains fried from everything else..

Anyways, your ending result would be, having a specific color index on your palette, and where you paint this color on your terrain.bmp, your new green color water is placed (as art, not map tile).

Another way, use a mul editor and copy the water tiles, re-hue them the green you want, and patch this new green set of water tiles into he art.mul and art.idx files. This way, you can use a simple static item (art) index number and your done, rather than having ot assign these water tiles a green hue via Map Generator. (thats just making it a little easier all the way around)