Ryandor.com

Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:40 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Electronic Arts
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:41 pm 
Peanut Gallery
Peanut Gallery

I activated my UO account again, just to check it out.

First impression: more people than last time -- that is for sure. I actually met several very friendly players in Britain who, coincidently, had just reactivated their accounts as well. Unfortunately, nobody in the city seemed to know much any feature that has been added in the last two years.

I also seem to be much more powerful than I was the last time I reactivated. The last time, I remember running around, getting my ass handed to me by such lowly creatures as harpies and ettins. This time around, though, I put on my full set of NPC-bought platemail and a random sword and shield I found, and headed to the dungeon north of Britain. I was able to slaughter ettins as if they were mongbats, and amassed some 20k in about 20-30 minutes just by letting ettins run into my sword.

I was told I should pick up an additional combat skill such as chivalry or one of the asian ones, but I haven't yet. I am just the old-fashioned swordsmanship 7x build. I am thinking of the samurai skill since it would add to my parry skill nicely for a whopping 25% parry chance once I am GM'd in it, though I may not bother, since I seem to do okay as-is.

I am a little bummed that I cannot trade in my old crappy vet rewards for better ones. I got the ethereal horse before ethereal unicorns were available, for example. Oh well, I still have 3 left to choose, and I will save them.

My house is, obviously, very much gone. Bye bye thousand's upon thousands of rares. I wish I had sold it at least. Oh well.

Uhm... oh, they raised the skill cap for vets, as now mine seems to be about 720.

It is easy to place a house, if I wanted one. A small house is worth about the price of the deed now days, though the largest can still fetch a few million gold coins. Most houses are unimaginably ugly.

Inflation means that just about all "common" items are completely worthless now. Considering I can churn out coins at a rate of a thousand every minute or so, they do not go for much. A platemail chest piece, which once upon a time was highly valued, is not even worth looting at this point.

I remember when wild horses would be snatched up in minutes, even in the wilderness. A wild packhorse just wandered by the Britain bank, where he hung out for a few hours, without even the newbiest of newbs trying to tame him. I thought about it, but didn't.

I still insist on going around and selling every last thing I loot from any monster I kill, but it seems so pointless. I can make more money by not looting treasure, and just taking the coins, than I can by running around to all the different shops and selling the loot.

Player vendors seem rare in Trammel, compared to before. I failed to find a single one that sold weapons I would want, though I did not look very hard. My old-fashioned exceptional katana made by some random person will have to do for now.

I haven't died since I reactivated, so I do not know if that is any different.

I seem to be the only person who has no expansion except T2A. People run around me with mounts like the beetles, which I cannot see. I cannot go to the more populated Luna, nor can I build a custom house. Darn.

Overall, I am having fun. Ettin-bashing is a good calming exercise.

I think an ettin could kill me in no more than 4 hits, but they never seem to hit that often, unless it is a big group, and I heal faster than they hit.

I finally let go of my pride, and decided to enjoy myself in the game, despite the fact that I am constantly surrounded by neon pixel crack.

Even my hair is neon, you know. Very hypocritical, but back when I got it, it really was special. Now everybody has it. Oh well. Maybe I will dye it brown.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:07 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

I'll be joining you in afew days. Went on amazon and snagged one of those 8th age with 45 days free with all sorts of interesting bling bling things.

Which server? Khaybel is playing uo again along with several friends of his too. I think they are on some "origin" server.

I wonder, can I remember my old uo account...hmm...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:09 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Apparently I dont recall my account name or password. All well, email submitted for known accounts heh.

I cant WAIT for next years graphics upgrade to uo. screenshots remind me of titan quest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:11 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

whoa! fast reply. Last time I played uo it took 2-3 days to get a forgotten account reply. ok so i have my account, lets try my to most commonly used passwords...

...nope. heehee. okey dokey. password request submitted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:20 pm 
Peanut Gallery
Peanut Gallery

It's automated now :-P

I play on Pacific, where I have way too much money. :-|

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:04 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Europa! Where I've played since it came up (Atlantic before that) - and still haven't, since the first day I played (first day of 1998), ever amassed more than 75k gold at one time in the game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:37 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

i remember my own two times of trying to amass a fortune.

the first time i grabbed a axe and ran into the woods directly north of british's castle. chopped wood, made bows, sold bows in the show in british's castle. kept doing it until i could afford a boat, then i was happy.

i remember several times trading with people for "keys to houses" always getting screwed over, bunch of jerks.

only time i became truelly wealthy was when the fishing change first happened. my skill was already 100 because prior to the fishing patch you could hit 100 in fishing in...oh say an hour or two. i set up a macro for fishing and would go to work leaving my fisherman on a boat which would periodically make turns as per the macro.

in one week i amassed over 56 message in bottles, millions and millions in gold, hundreds of chests packed with jewels and other super rare oddities. that character was wealthy beyond imagining.

back then housing was simply unavailable so i took three large boats, two medium boats and one small boat. i lined them all up next to eachother in a cove just north of magincia, opened and locked all the blanks that were connecting the boats to one another, left the only two on the outside locked. i used my small boat to get between my "house" and shore. had each boat set up different, one for chests, one had a full table with dinner plates and other things id found fishing.

of course then they made the changes to boats causing them to decay when away from shore. bastards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:19 am 
Master
Master

thats a sweet intricate boat system you had there. I first joined up in 1999 and with my first little fortune i bought a SMALL tower deed and when they opened up housing in trammel i placed it compassion desert. Damn trammel ruining the game :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:12 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

trammel itself was an interesting idea except for one factor. they looked at the abyss server and thought "hey look at all these pvper's lets give them reason to play their normal server characters, lets give them one giant copy of the world wrapped in full pvp goodness!"

then they did that and it was good. pvp'ers had a playground, non pvpers had a playground.

then they removed abyss and it was not good. all those pvpers were forced back to their normal servers, but they suddenly found themselves no longer able to camp roadways and do all their jolly good evilness around the server.

the fel/tram thing was what killed my interest in uo originally. just decided to let the account slip. well that and the boat decay, the no items visable unless stepping on boats/doorsteps, ninjas are STUPID in the world of uo!

I dont care what anyone says, ninja's are stupid. stupid stupid stupid.

i remember when t2a was first announced. specialized sections of the new map designed for player city placement. the promise of all those fields being reshaped into placeable housing areas. thats why they have all those outcroppings everywhere with trees on them and roads inbetween. to make firm paths amongst what was supposed to be player housing goodness.

i remember when there was supposed to be a monster race in t2a that would be capable of becoming extinct if players hunted them enough. remember when the snakes and spider races were supposed to be at war with one another?

ahh, so many memories.

3rd dawn had much promise of 3d goodness, then when you first logged in and saw your character walking with a pole stuck up his butt 90% of the players installed 3rd dawn non 3d client and kept playing that.

-holds up lord blackthorne cyber freak looking guy statue- heehee, i keep him by my monitor at all times. he talks abit like beavis and likes to crunch cookies inbetween that big claw thingy he has for a hand.

the paladin expansion thingy, dont remember its name. thats probably the only expansion that really caught my interest since t2a. i love the paladin system, the tithing, healing, i love paladins. i play a paladin in every mmo that has the option.

oh well, waiting for package to arrive, uo...here i come.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:47 am 
Master
Master

Yes i too have my cyborg blackthorn next to my computer and he crushes paper with his claw!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:30 am 
Peanut Gallery
Peanut Gallery

I like the Asian content, except for the over-use of black. I certainly see no reason not to have it -- it fits in with the time period, roughly. I get the impression that the samurai are a bit more 16-17th century than they are 12-13th, but oh well. I like it, and you have to remember, over half of the UO subscribers (approximately 70,000 of the 135,000 according to MMOGChart.com) are Japanese. :-|

Personally, though, I would like to see more emphasis on non-combat skills and activities -- that is the one thing UO has always done better than other games. You cannot even chop a tree in most games, let alone make or even sit in a chair.

Oh and the economy is so messed up it is likely to never recover. I think they should convert everybody's stuff to gold, and then reduce the amount of gold to 1/100th of what it is, convert it to copper, and raise the prices of everything in the game. Then, add taxes to owning property, require better care of pets, and give all worlds the Felucca ruleset except Haven, and then delete Felucca. Demolish all houses, and hire a small group of people who do nothing but wander around enforcing some minimal housing design quality standard, and penalize anybody who mixes and matches styles too much with a hefty fine. Permanently destroy all neon-colored items (but wait, they were converted to money anyway), and stop them from spawning. Remove all but the regular cloth dye tub, and abandon the veteran rewards idea. Ban anybody wearing true-black or any other non-standard color, and rework the artwork for elves. Make all magic items very rare, and make even normal items worth fighting for. Ban anybody with a stupid character name, and then shut down UO altogether when nobody is playing anymore. :|

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:14 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

In other words go back to t2a hah. 90% of what you said is t2a and older :P