Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:57 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:59 pm 
Posting Whore
Posting Whore

Oblivion is more addictive than meth laced with crack... :cry:

I went for counseling for it but after my shrink saw the game he forgot I was in the room and played till he passed out from exhaustion...*sigh*

The people over at *looks at Syd* OSI!!!! Should seriously think about using the graphics engine from this in a new UO online game. They can call it "UO III a.k.a. Kid killer!/Divorce assistence software!" :P

Dev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:29 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Haha, that would be awesome!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:21 pm 
Posting Whore
Posting Whore

WOOT! Finished the main story line finally. Not going to ruin it for anyone though.

Great game!

Now for the mundane stuff...like making level 255! The world truly is alive and there is enough to do to keep you busy for months.

Dev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:34 am 
Master
Master

Isn't Sean Bean excellent as Martin???

Sorry, just had to say that. He just makes the character "come alive" as far as I'm concerned.

Anyway, that wasn't really to object of this post. Just wanted to let you know:

Should you ever need to do the "Vampire Cure" quest and have a problem with it, let me know as there's a bug. But, if it's the normal bug, there's a very easy solution for it.

-CMS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:03 pm 
Posting Whore
Posting Whore

Well I think most of the main characters were well done. Some of the little side ones were somewhat robotic though. The game still kicks ass either way though :P

Dev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:03 pm 
Slayer of Fools
Slayer of Fools

I am a little bit disappointed that Bethsoft still learned nothing about game balance from Morrowind. In fact it is even worse. The whole everything leveling up with you is a great idea, but poorly implemented. I am level 20 and it is a drag because I decided to be an Imperial Assassin. If you choose skills that aren't suited for your race then you are just making journeyman skills at high teens.

Daggerfall while buggy, imbalanced and outright broken in so many ways I still had a lot more fun with. Granted our expectations of what makes a great game have goten more stringent over the years. I finally figured out why it played better though. In DF your character was a lot more customizeable. You got a lot of discretionary points to place where you wanted. Primary skills also started a lot higher. The leveling was based off of only 6 of your 12 class skills (3 primary, 2 highest secondary and highest minor) and it was 15 points to level so by level 15 you actually had some pretty high skills and even with at best 5 points total to raise abilitys per level you could still have really high stats by that level.

Also while the graphics are certainly nothing short of stunning, Oblivion still doesn't have quite as much "atmosphere" as DF. Really no game since DF has.

So anyways, I restarted as a wood elf custom Assassin so I won't be level 50 by the time I make expert in my skills (Alchemy is just so fun and useful that it shouldn't be taken as a class skill because then you will gain lots of levels from alchemy but get your ass whooped by the first bandit you run into). So we went with Blade, Marksman, Light Armor, Block, Sneak, Heavy Armor and Blunt (because I will never use hvy or blunt I won't have a high level but not be able to fight my way out of a paperbag since I am only using 5 out of 7 class skills).

Other observations:
Join the Dark Brotherhood if you are of a murderous bent like I am, the quests are simply awesome. You get some really cool items, especially the "armor" which is black and hooded. Raises most of the relevant assassin skills 10 points. Did I mention the quests are awesome? Real assassinations. Not just go over here, fight your way through the dungeon, kill the bad guy at the bottom after you've killed all his cronies. Nope, none of that here. Sneak in, kill your target (in varied ways such as poison, making it look like an accident, slaying arrows, etc) and get out. (Ok, so here is 1 area they have made a major improvement even over DF.)

Thieves guild is also pretty fun. Does annoy me that you have to progress through the ranks to get access to more fences, doubly so because the Imperial city fence comes quite late so you are limited in your choices of where you are going to work out of. Still the quests are quite good.

Mages I've only done the recomendation quests and the quest to get your mages staff. Meh, but hey, the mages guild is just too useful to not be in. Actually I can't really complain about the recomendation quests either, they were varied and interesting.

I've only managed to do the first fighters guild quest, probably because I wasn't frequenting the citys where you get quests but it was good clean goblin bashing fun.

The misc quests around each town are varied and fun as well. I've done quite a lot of them. Rewards tend to suck (for all but the DB actually) but hey, the value of a good quest is to have done it (besides I need the fame to offset my infamy so bolts of lightning don't blow the roof off the temple every time I set foot inside).

Haven't tried being a vampire yet, have caught it a few times but cured it. Even went ahead and got voluntarily turned into one (don't want to give spoiler, but it comes later on in the DB) but I had some nasty drains and like a dumbass I went to the temple to get it fixed before my 3 day wait was up so no vampire.

Haven't done much of the main quest either. Oh, I'll get around to it one of these days. I wasn't doing it because the sigil stones let you enchant items but they are also a leveled reward, so closing gates at low levels nets you crap, of course now with my favorite mod I don't have to play that way anymore so I might start kicking some Daedra ass earlier on with the new toon.

Plugins! I highly recommend the leveling quest items plugin (because many quest rewards are leveled items, and if you just go and do quests when you feel like it you get stuck with sucky items forever). I also recommend changing the stat levelup caps (there is a mod but it is very simple to do) to give you your 5 points in chosen ability even with 1 skill gain (but that's just me, I want my 5 points but don't like to have to constantly stop and train or artificialy hold back on leveling because I only raised whatever skill 9 points instead of 10). Horse armor.....meh....if any of you are thinking of buying it, DONT. Not worth the 2 bucks (and no I didnt spend it either). A real rip-off. Pretty fucking nervy of Bethsoft, especially when they haven't released a patch yet. I feel not one iota of guilt for getting it from a torrent.

Anyway, that's my rambling for the night. Going to go play some Oblivion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 9:22 pm 
Young
Young

Nothing ever -can- beat Daggerfall, or even come close to it, short of Daggerfall remade. (which, while on that, it should be)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:38 am 
Master
Master

Okay, so I'm a bit behind the curve here... Really enjoying the game so far (which is a surprise since I've never liked first-person games). I did the Dark Brotherhood quests and got my shadowmere, then left it somewhere and can't find it. Argh! Stupid horse!

Being an assassin rocks, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:44 am 
Master
Master

Check the Fort. He usually ends up back there if you lose track of him.

-Goldrush

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:29 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Over the weekend that stupid storm ripped through maryland and knocked out my cable modem. While watching my wife freak out going through withdrawls I once again proved that I am no where near as addicted to the internet as everyone else claims I am.

I looked at my book shelf, installed freedom force, uninstalled it because it dosent like windows xp. I grabbed spell force 2, played that...which its really good by the way. But it wasn't what I was looking to play at that moment.

Grabbed and reinstalled oblivion. Made a good warrior type, did about 4 quests into the main story and started to get bored. In a fit of randomness I turned down the difficulty and beat the living hell out of 32 some odd guards in the capital, every beggar i could find, and most of the merchants. I went to bed in the inn and was promptly invited to join "The dark brotherhood" heehee, an assasins guild. I joined them but then realized that all the rewards for their quest work was rogueish based.

So I rolled up a female wood elf named "Copper" She went straight to work for them and is now an absolute terror of the assasin profession heehee! I'm half way through the dark brotherhood quests, having a blast at it too :) I've been offered a bite of vampirism and will be accepting it here shortly.

I also rolled up a fresh male wood elf named "Stips" and he is strictly doing the main storyline right now.

What a great game heehee, cable has been back up for 2 days now and I havent even played any mmo. Log into eve, start skill training, log out, launch oblivion :)

Oh and those mods that bethesda offers but charges for, they are infact worth it. Armored horses ftw! And the evil doers hideout rules :) All are good though :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:03 am 
Master
Master

I had the game for XBOX360 then i had to sell it due to money issues, but im thinking about getting it again, i just wish xbox360 had the mod advantages as the PC version

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:48 am 
Posting Whore
Posting Whore

$ 4 $ I would say that for what you pump into and Xbox 360 you could buy a killer graphics card and some ram and smoke any of those "box" things.

Never understood the fixation with limiting ones self to a box and keypad, get a real computer and do the games and then some!

Dev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:05 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

The only type of game I prefer to play on console are racing games. Everything else is just smoother on a computer.

The the console does have one nice benefit viper. Buy the console and all games for that console will run perfectly, no periodic new graphics card or sound cards. No driver updates. your good to go until they release a new console.

Still like my computer better though, more game functionality and variety.