Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:35 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I need a game
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:50 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

that doesn't suck.

pretty much every fucking game out ther esucks so bad. I tried downloading half a dozen demo's from gamespot and they all sucked. there was no heart to the games, just a bunch of half-assery cut scenes and "Go bash!"

no challenge. you couldn't even lose if you tried in some of these games. designers are so stuck thinking that the player will get angry if they lose. WTF? isn't the point of games to lose so you can figure out a puzzle then win? a game is a mental excerise not a fkkin click fest.

*frustrated*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:06 pm 
Peanut Gallery
Peanut Gallery

I am eagerly awaiting the release of Spore, which was originally going to be called "Sim Everything". Made by Maxis, it goes from cellular to galactic. You start as a single cell, and evolve to a super-advanced space age.

www.spore.com

Also, go to videos.google.com and type in "Spore" for a great half-hour game play video.

Will not be out until Q4 2006, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:59 am 
Master
Master

OMG! This goona blow. Never waiting something like that from Maxis, but this looking lika dream... i gonna notify all my community about that one!

"Be calm and silent, as Darkness care not of passions and lies. Be patient and cold, as Darkness exists out of borders of time and emotions. Just be yourself, as You are in the Darkness and Darkness is inside of you."
-Dark Ones Doctrine, 2001y (c)-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:15 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Woha! FRIGGEN AWESOME!

You can't believe how long I've been thinking of this game up in my head, ever since they created SimEarth!

Wow! I'm definately going to get this one and play it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:30 pm 
Young
Young

If you're into 4x/strategy games, Sword of the Stars will be released soon. Looks great so far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:23 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Doesn't look too shabby. But too bad they don't mix ground combat with space combat.

I sorta like how they did it in Star Wars: Empire At War.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:36 am 
Posting Whore
Posting Whore

Looks sort of comic bookish but sort of nice. If it is just space combat then they might be sucking since there are more than enough of those games already.

I would like to see a game sort of like Star Whores and AO where you can fly to a planet, drink a Trillian Hammerhead beer then jump in your Denobian battle cruizer and get pulled over by the High Guard for Interstellar travel under the influence! :P

Not just cockpit flight but actually space ships where other people could man the turrets or torpedo tubes if they want. I loved the Star Wars game called where you were the turret gunner shooting the Tie fighters. That would be a true game! Then once your done jacking the enemy you could land on a nearby class M planet and have insane crazy sex with the purple chic and the green chic! :P

A space game should be more realistic too. There should be fuel cost, crew cost, maint. cost and so on. This would force players to behave most of the time and not rush out attacking everything like they do in space games now.

Dev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:23 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Let's start making Project Albatross 2 - the Space Adventure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:28 pm 
Posting Whore
Posting Whore

Actually I think UO would be a great base for a Sci-Fi game and have thought about various ways of linking it into other open source 3d space fighter games.

Enter the spaceport in Skara and walk down a tunnel and *poof!* you appear in a hanger where your ship is docked then get on board and wander around just like normal UO until you enter the cockpit then it switches over to a 3d game and you go sailing around the stars!

A different map for each planet and your all set! Shouldnt be to hard for Xuri or Syd to throw together over a weekend. :P

Dev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:34 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Haha, why not make a new game engine and then do it. That way you could have a sort of a seamless way of doing it.

Plus, why not allow it where you can board enemy ships. Then you run around on the enemy ship destroying major components, troops, etc. Would be almost like a dungeon crawl but in a space ship. Then you could pick up loot, and run back to your ship. Then leave.

Or, kill the player and take over his ship and use it for scrap metal.

On top of that, you could explore other worlds, etc.

It would make for very interesting gameplay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:40 am 
Not your daddy
Not your daddy

hmmm.. so in a nutshell.. someone needs to create a game with a bad ass 3d engine, that would also be 100% compatible with other 3d (or 2d) engines.. able to actually connect and join into any other online game, and play along...

Oh, and be able to allow the player to go anywhere imaginable, or do basically anything that he/she could possibly imagine doing, and react to his/her absolute highest expectations!

hmm.. would the 3D engine be able to support a graphics card without shaders?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:00 pm 
Master
Master

Has anyone here heard of RF Online? My son's friend wants my son to play that but he's never heard of it.

Son says the monthly fee is in "pounds", but the graphics are supposedly good. Not sure if that speaks well of the game or not. ::shrug::

Any actual experience would be good, though, if anyone knows anything.

Thanks, bunches.

-CMS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:30 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

It is a new futuristic style MMORPG. I assume you have a character which can control a mecha, and as you go along you can upgrade it, get better with your skills, etc.

For us Canucks, pounds aren't worth buying and playing the game. No matter how good it is. I'm not sure what the monthly fee is, but if it is say $10 a month in pounds, then it would be $20 bucks CDN. So sorry, I won't pay any more than $15 a month in total to play an online game.

I guess it doesn't hurt to buy it, and try it for 30 days to see if your son likes it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:47 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Well, I broke down and got RF Online to see what it was all about.

It reminds me of Phantasy Star/Final Fantasy of a style for a game. Oh, the pricing is converted, so I pay $14.99/month US. So of course, that is your standard pricing.

Well, time to give this game a whirl to see if it is worth it after the 30 days or not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:21 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

I cancelled RFO after the first week ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:28 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

How did you find it?

Was it fun, boring, same crap different pile?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:23 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

I found it same crap different pile, my friends think it's "fun" to pass the time until the next game.

The grind isn't too bad, items are pretty damn easy to get, but it's just killing mobs over and over and over and over at it's fundamentals, which is boring as hell and no thanks never again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:29 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Yeah, unfortunately that is what I'm noticing too. :cry:

It would be a great game if it didn't have the grind. I like the whole feel of it. Seems fresh and a bit different.

But as far as leveling, grinding, etc. Same thing different pile. Oh well, I'll play it for 25 days and cancel. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:44 am 
Posting Whore
Posting Whore

Most online games are the same game as everyone else with a different skin to make it look snazy. EQ was the worse grind game I care to see and will never play again.

AO is my current love and I think we will be playing it for a long while. The grind is really not that bad and the skill system is very simple but allows for so many things. The only thing hard is figuring out what is worth money and keeping out of the ton's of stuff you get during the average day. There are also very few sites which have information on quest or items but to me that makes it more challenging.

With AO I have never sat around for an hour wondering what to do next, there is just way to much to do and no time to do it! Exploring is half the fun and I still havent seen half of Rubi-Ka or SL but I'm getting there.

Dev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:56 am 
Slayer of Fools
Slayer of Fools

I'm getting kinda bored already actually. I've been soloing a lot lately it seems (which is very doable for adventurer in SL, I get like 50k xp a pop from killing orange mobs). The people I used to team with regularly we all seem to have different schedules. My org is small and....lame...really noone in my level range lately (103) and I have had such shitty luck with pickup groups and in fact I don't even know where to find one for Ely hecks. As a single player game it just doesn't cut it.