Ryandor.com

Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:09 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Battlefield 2
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:02 pm 
Peanut Gallery
Peanut Gallery

I am so addicted now that I survive fairly well. I manage to stay within the top 3 when playing on the official servers (always ones near the 64 player limit).

I play a medic, but I think medics are a bit unbalanced compared to the rest -- it seems way too easy to do well as a medic. The first time you play as a medic, you will wonder why they even bother having a medic (especially since you usually die in a couple hits anyway), but the more you toy with it, the more you realize medics kick ass, especially as squad leaders. My kill to death ratio as a medic is currently 29:1, which is outstanding, compared to the near-opposite (or worse) ratios I have for every other kit (1 kill for every 128 deaths as an engineer, heh).

I have the sniper unlock, but cannot snipe people worth crap unless I am playing on an unranked server, which is annoying. I do not bother with trying to snipe people, period -- I just do not have the skill or patience for it. The only time I ever managed to do well as a sniper was when I was in the city and there was a major battle just under a building I was on top of -- the enemy had their hands full with other things, so I was free to pick them off pretty easily. My medic unlock, though, is nearly as good as the sniper gun, but still great at short range!

My rank is almost Sergeant, but ranks seem to be all about how long you play -- if you only kill one person per game (and don't kill any team-mates), you still manage to gain rank EVENTUALLY. The unlocks are cool, but not nearly as cool as I had hoped. The starting weapons are still damn good.

I am decent in a tank, and love dune buggies the most. They die fast, but boy are they fast and fun to drive! I actually prefer the APC to the tanks, though -- the cannon comes in much more handy on most of the maps than the tank's cannon.

I am usually a squad leader just because I am good at it -- I stay alive and revive like crazy, and stay in the background racking up points. I did try to be a commander a few times, and won every time, but I do not think I am as good at it (but better than a lot of the do-nothing commanders!). I do not have a mic, so I have to type a lot, which is never good. I get bored commanding, anyway.

Flight is difficult at best, but fun once you get used to it. Helicopters are easy to fly, but hard to attack with -- I nose-dive into the ground a lot. I do not like carrying people, because I do not like the responsibility of not getting them blown up, but when I find myself alone with a helicopter, I think I am pretty decent with it and manage to take off and land easily, and stay in the air until something shoots me down. As a bomber, I kick ass, but that is hard to fail at with a good pilot.

Jet flying is my new passion, though. I absolutely love it, though getting a jet is very hard on the more popular servers (which I always play on). I started up a private server and flew by myself for many hours with my girlfriend, and I am getting very good at it. Taking off was once difficult, but now I can practically point up and take off instantly (very unrealistic), and I even got good at landing migs on the enemy aircraft carrier (the landings are very forgiving) -- though, I see little reason to land unless you need to pick someone up or repair your near-dead plane.

The harrier is my specialty, though. I absolutely love the harrier. I am very good at suddenly dropping my speed and hovering behind a hill (or even landing), only to wait for an enemy to take off or get in a helicopter and blow it up. I often land on buildings and such to repair it, as well, and I finally figured out how to hit things when I bomb (and not hit my own bombs). Granted, on very populated servers, hovering in a harrier is a death sentence near an enemy base, but it is a fun tactic on small servers. I am still using the mouse, though -- going to dig out my joystick tonight and give it a go.

Fun fun fun, and well worth the money!

Oh yeah, I play on the absolute maximum settings, which makes it all look very nice. :-D