Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:44 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: AO!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:08 am 
Posting Whore
Posting Whore

Well its all Hellrazors fault! :wink:

Over four years after its release I went back to playing AO.

Originally I was selected as a beta tester for phase 3 just like a few other games but I found AO to be very buggy and grossly laggy...

Seems they have changed quite a bit and the new expansions are pretty nice and even though I started on their freebee account I quickly switched to the full version. Not only me but my best friend as well (I heard that...)

Been playing for the last month and having a blast!

Only downside is you have to have a full party to bash alien head after noobie island but I'm goading Funcom trying to get that changed. Other than that one pitfall I would recommend it to anyone who likes a game that is challenging but not overly complicated or a *Twitcher* like EQ or UO.

If you like Star Wars Gallaxies then you will most likely enjoy AO with all the expansions since that is where most of the old players moved too.

There are 220 levels but they fly by, I've made my first 26 in under 3 days of very enjoyable play.

The community is pretty cool as well once you turn off newbie chat and ban a few names. Most players will go out of their way to help with questions or problems. (One guy was going to lunch so he had his pet heal me while I ran around....1500hps a heal every 5 seconds...I was a GOD! No honest...you don't know the power! *weeze*)

Shou Tang, 26th level Shade of Atlantian shard!!! (last 3 levels in 30 minutes! WOOT)
Xylinx, 21st level Engineer of Atlantian Shard!

The game can look very complicated at first but its actually very simple to learn. It is also free until 2007 for basic accounts and cost only $10 for all the expansions to date and $15 a month for a full account (First month free) which is required to enjoy the game after higher levels (Perks are awesome).

Shadow Lands are my new home for the next few months (Other than here and my own site as normal).

Lots of PVP for those OWnZ JoO monkey's and plenty to see and do with all the expansions. Give it a try for free, how can you go wrong?

Dev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 2:50 pm 
Slayer of Fools
Slayer of Fools

Cool
Maybe I'll run into you guys or somethin
I'm like lvl 30 explorer. Haven't played in months. Just have the freeby.
I was one of those betatesters who had an experience like yours and it sure has changed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 4:40 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

I have a freebie account too. I liked AO in general but never could get used to the clunky camera/movement controls. :|

After being treated to the WoW setup, I fear I'll never be happy with anything else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:41 pm 
Posting Whore
Posting Whore

Quite a few of the WoW people have moved to AO too. They said that WoW is great until you cap out and then it gets a little old. Thats the pitfall of most online games, the levels that is.

In AO there are zones that are designed for entire teams of 220 characters so it keeps the game interesting. With the huge maps they have with Shadow Lands, Normal Rubi-Ka and the expansions Notum Wars and the soon to come expansion they are not only keeping their old players interested but attracting more as Sony pisses people off.

The Community is one of the driving forces for me, community can make or break any game no matter how good the graphics as everyone here knows I'm sure.

Customer service is without a doubt the best I've seen in any game. I've had to petition twice about trouble makers spewing racial hatred in newbie chat and both times they responded in less that 5 minutes. In EQ you would have been waiting at least 2-3 hours for them to tell you there is nothing they can do...to think I was a guide for them...

Active accounts during Christmas also were given xmas tree's and could do a very simple quest given by a "Leet" with a Santa hat to get an entire santa suit to wear, very cool I thought. Funcom has always been responsive to their players and have done a good job of keeping them happy with all sorts of special events given out daily.

The creatures in the game are funny because they say random amusing comments upon death. Something I did not remember from the original release.

Yeah...I'm addicted...

Its like UO when it first came out, the community is thriving, the world is new and very nicely done and there is plenty to keep even experienced players happy. (Can't you tell from this large ass post!)

Dev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:25 pm 
Slayer of Fools
Slayer of Fools

Well I made 41 today. Have lost enough for 2 levels now, thanks to the dumbasses I was with in ToTW (who decided to pull COT even though we had no chance against him and I was about 2k to level). Oh, btw I am on Atlantean as well. Kellick is my toon.
One thing I don't get for a game that has been around as long and is as active there sure is not a lot of good information out there about it.
I cannot find a decent pistol and I have no idea how I am going to get to Biomare and get me some customized desert reets.
Shopping confuses the hell out of me. It is worse than AC with all the generated loot.
It is fun though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:46 pm 
Posting Whore
Posting Whore

Yeah it is hard finding information though there are a few good sites that explain the upper end stuff. Impossible to find sites that explain the low level stuff, especially crafting items and quest.

Of course there are so many quest that it would take one hell of a database to store them all.

I've noticed lately that there is a lack of information for quite a few games that were once on top of the world. Seems that quite a few sites no longer exist for some reason.

Taox is the name of my MA who is 32'nd and Omni. Xylinx is my 37th level Engineer who is neutral along with a whole hoard of lessers I've been toying with. The 39th level shade is wicked and solo's dark reds at 80% mission settings.

So much fun...so little time! :wink:

Dev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:02 pm 
Slayer of Fools
Slayer of Fools

Cool. We'll have to hookup sometime. Almost 45 now.
How do I get to Biomare as an Omni? Have you ever been there?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:32 pm 
Posting Whore
Posting Whore

Not a clue on that one, you try Stratics? I know they have an info section on Biomare.

Dev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:03 am 
Slayer of Fools
Slayer of Fools

Looks like I need to buy a yalm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:14 am 
Slayer of Fools
Slayer of Fools

Well I gotta say since I decided I couldn't bear another minute in ToTW and made the trek to Biomare (only after did I find out there is a wompah route, my map was old) did I really start having a blast. Made some great friends. Hit level 60 already. Great loot and xp there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:45 am 
Posting Whore
Posting Whore

Way cool!

My friend and I pretty much stick to missions since she is to shy to meet other people (yes I know thats the purpose of online games).

Our Martial Artist gain almost 2 levels a mission by setting it on 80-90% and out of almost 60 missions I've died only once due to lag. The downside is that most of the stuff we find is to high of level to use so we end up banking it for a couple more missions to raise up the skills to wear it.

Unless I go alone I will most likely never see the inside of Biomare or any other dungeon but we're having a blast.

You must be playing more than my 2-3 hours a night to hit 60 already. Of course if we would stop making new characters and stick with one we would have been 150 by now too...damn her! ALL WOMEN ARE EVIL DISTRACTIONS!!!

Dev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:57 pm 
Slayer of Fools
Slayer of Fools

Yeah, I been playing quite a bit lately. Had been level 26 when I stopped for a while. Was sick most of this week and so I picked it up again hard. Just got downized Friday so while I'm looking for a new job I've got time on my hands again. But grouping makes buku xp. Way more than missions. A good 6 man team I haven't even finished allocating my IP from the last level by the time I level again. Women suck like that. I always had a "girlfriend" in EQ and it got to be a drag. Holding back on leveling because they didn't want to play as much or they always wanted to play alts whereas I am focused on leveling my main.

I do need to spend some time playing other professions though, cause I don't know all the nuances. If you guys are neutral you might want to check out Dialectical Materialism http://leethaxor.org/AO the guildmaster is a really great guy, I team with him a lot. Have met a lot of good people through him and had some really awesome teams.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:28 pm 
Slayer of Fools
Slayer of Fools

Well here's my irregular update:
Started over again as a neutral adventurer. Was on vacation last week (I found better job within a week but decided to take a week before starting, so now I'm down to a few hours a night to play) so I'm up to level 82 now. Got my first Customized IMI Desert Reet 1000 (still need 1 for left hand). Found Grid Armor 1 in a safe, sold for 25 million creds so I'm doing pretty good. Dude, when you save up about 6 million, start camping for a 80ish QL yalm. It's great to be able to fly!
Kellick2 is my toon now, although I think I am gonna start a fixer.

Upgraded my account from froob status last Sunday.
Having great fun, made a lot of friends. Kinda got a gf even lol! (she's great, a doctor who dances naked while we fight, the wife isn't too pleased). We'll have to hook up sometime.

And for the rest of you, sign up for a free account while you still can and get downloading!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:39 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Stormcrow, Stormcrow... don't you know that there are no females on the Internet? It's a man! ;P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:30 pm 
Slayer of Fools
Slayer of Fools

LOL
Uhhh....I just reread that.
I meant Dev and I have to hook up some time (in AO, no I'm not asking Dev for a date either you sickos!)

I've actually met quite a few chicks off the internet back when I was single, but I wouldn't recommend it (and no, I didn't meet my wife on the internet, she hates gaming :( )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:31 pm 
Posting Whore
Posting Whore

Yeah my wife hates my computer period. Used to tell me I should marry the computer and move into a cave and be a hermit so my natural responce was..."I would hon but they didn't have high speed internet availible for the cave I picked out"

We're up to two accounts each and the first account has the full 8 characters already maxed.

Fixers are very nice, have one that is about to make 40th. My engineer is about to make 50th and we have most of our others up to between 20-40 as well.

If you like fighting you should try a Keeper or Shade they are insane. My friend went from 0 to level 45 in less than a week with her Keeper and I made 38th with my Shade in about the same time.

Regarding online chic's...girls or guys in drag... My best friend and I met online six years ago and met in real life about two years later. She's a programmer on the West Coast. The vast majority of girls are easy to spot online once you know what to look for...they are quiet...the guys in drag are normally the ones going around acting like sluts or wanting to be the center of attention.

My best friend and I were neighbors in UO on Ocello Island in what is now Fel and she may have talked to me 3 times during a given month before we finally broke the "shy" barrier. Now I can't get her to shut up (typical woman...*waits for Roan's reply*) :P

As a Guide in other online games and as a Counsilor in UO, I've also seen some really messed up things that are done by "friends" to their "friends" mostly stealing everything they own and selling it on E-Gay or using for theirself. My first Guildmaster in EQ quit the game after he found out his online wife in the guild was actually...yep...a guy...

Speaking of not being able to shut up...*looks at this long ass post*

Dev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:50 pm 
Not your daddy
Not your daddy

Dev Viperrious wrote:
My best friend and I met online six years ago and met in real life about two years later.....

Dev Viperrious wrote:
My best friend and I were neighbors in UO on Ocello Island in what is now Fel......

SHIT, someone call a docter!! I think theres somthing wrong with Dev!

He not only said he has a best friend, but refered to her twice in one post!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:08 pm 
Posting Whore
Posting Whore

Yep she was also listed in my original post from about a year ago as one of the five that I have :wink:

Another 10 years together here in Ry's Rompus Room and we might be a little closer too! :P

Dev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:40 pm 
Not your daddy
Not your daddy

:o

Im going to go check the calander!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:34 pm 
Posting Whore
Posting Whore

Damn I'm never going to make it to 60th...

Every time I get a character up to 40ish I start a new one! Its a blast and I still haven't explored even half the zones.

Started a Keeper myself and together with Moon we tear most things a new ass! Both are almost 50th but then she does a lot of work from home and owns two businesses on the side so play time is tight...thus I started a MP to check them out and now I'm addicted to those hehe.

They have an EMU for AO but I haven't tried it yet. Waiting to burn out on the real game in about 3-4 years before I gut it and change it around a bit. :wink:

We did go to Steps of Insanity...green my ass! Got the smack down put on our candy asses and ended up pulling half the dungeon on the way back out. Now Moon is heckling me to go to ToTW...normally she dosen't like dungeons and is shy, Martial Artist and Keepers took care of that.

Dev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:45 pm 
Slayer of Fools
Slayer of Fools

Ding! 100. A few days ago actually, but I haven't had much time to play lately (or even check on Ryandor's). Heh, you think green is bad, try getting your ass handed to you by grey mobs in CoH. And I'm no gimp, I solo orange mobs 2 and 3 at a time for xp in SL. You really need to get up there and XP.