Ryandor.com

Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:33 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Half-Life 2 anyone?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:56 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I finally have high speed cable (sucky adelphia).

My current thing is HL2DM. If anyone is interested, PM me and we can arrange something.

-Ryandor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:27 pm 
Not your daddy
Not your daddy

Oh come on, even the worst of the cable broadband ISP's have to beat any dialup!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 7:23 pm 
Posting Whore
Posting Whore

Hehe

You must live in a bad section of town, I have Adelphia and my connection rates as so;

2.3 megabits per second

Communications 2.3 megabits per second
Storage 278.4 kilobytes per second
1MB file download 3.7 seconds
Subjective rating Great

A T-1 (max. 1.54 Mbits/sec), the only part I hate is my friend pay $20 bucks a month less for their connection and they live in CA.

Dev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 6:04 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Dev Viperrious wrote:

2.3 megabits per second

Mines about the same. Tested several times and got anywhere from 1.8 to 2.4. However upload is dead slow at about 270KB comparatively.

Dev Viperrious wrote:
A T-1 (max. 1.54 Mbits/sec), the only part I hate is my friend pay $20 bucks a month less for their connection and they live in CA.

This is my main bitch. Adelphia is a bunch of missed managed crackheads who can't manage themselves out of a wet paper bag. Then they rip off the customer where ever they basically have a monopoly, like here in CSC. (Don't get me started on Qwest DSL!)
:evil:
-Ryandor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 9:17 am 
Hehe I hate Quest real bad too. They are the worst "anything" I've ever seen.

They have the worst phone service, worst dial-up service, worst DSL service and their customer serive is almost none existant.

Even their old ISP website was the worst design I had ever seen, they changed it about two weeks after I offered to design them a real web site. The old one was a single page web that took over 5 minutes to download over a dial-up because it was over 50 pages long. The links would simply take you down the page to different areas. The color design was baby shit green...

I did get them to upgrade my phone lines though to 1gb/sec twisted pair though so I'm happy in that area.

Dev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 2:26 pm 
Not your daddy
Not your daddy

Hey, I have Qwest too. In fact just had the DSL installed after having used Comcast all last year. Comcast was great if you are just using it for single computer personal usage, like typicall web stuff, and some downloading.

Get a game server on a PC, and some downloading on the other, and it sucks th econnection dry fast. too easy to bog it down.

The DSL seems to have more stamina when in heavier use.. but I am still working on it.. I will find some downfalls soon too.

Although, I must sat I dont like how they just send you out whatever modem they choose.. so far Im looking at the modem possibly giving some trouble for what i want to end up doing here.. *to be continued*

*added
Oh, and atm this is the better 1.5 (T-1) line (1536/448), where Comcast claimed to have been up to 6 Mbit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 7:22 pm 
Slayer of Fools
Slayer of Fools

I sure don't miss Qwest. They sucked ass 7 years ago, and I see from your complaints they have kept their standards!

I'm getting surprisingly good service from Comcast (considering their rep). I actually tried Bellsouth's DSL for a week and it was horrible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 12:42 am 
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

when i was in denver i used MHO (Mile High Online) and they rocked, goos service, great service its a startup company so i even had the company owner come out once when a snow storm frazzed all the lines, and he fixed it himself..

Ry and Dev i really sudguest them

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 10:31 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

My choices:
Adelphia Cable
Qwest DSL
Microwave
Satelite

Any "third party" DSL providers use Qwest DSL. And do not offer anything better than Qwest itself (and usually cost a little more). On top of the fact I'm over 19,000 feet from the CO, DSL isn't an option.

Wireless isn't an option because of the 12 month contract and install fee. MHO appears to have a similiar service in Denver, but doesn't cover the Springs)

Satelite is the same; install and contract.

Regardless, I have to have cable tv for the GF and kids, so cable is the cheapest option at this point.

(For those that are interested: wireless info in Colorado Springs)

-Ryandor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 6:33 pm 
Posting Whore
Posting Whore

Yeah its hard here in the Springs to get good ISP service.

Satelite and Microwave are really not an option even if they didnt require a contract since one of the first things they asked me when I called was "Is this for online gaming?" and when I said yes they told me it was not recommended since there can sometimes be up to a 3 second lag time in responce.

Course I find that funny since there is a 30' dish behind Adelphia :wink:

Dev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:24 pm 
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

oh yea MHO is microwave :? but i lived 2 miles from the dish so maybe thats why my service was so good...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:03 am 
Community Guy

Man it's crazy hearing you guys talk about ISP's. I used to work for one called JAS Networks. They had some good ideas, every customer whether residential or business, got a free static IP address (this was a pain for us techs at times though) and it was SDSL so you got pretty much the same speeds up or down. Having a 768/768 connection really isn't bad no matter how you look at it. They also used Paradyne equipment to get 2.5 up and down in some areas. Although Paradyne is kinda funny as far as SDSL goes because it doesn't require your up and down to be the exact same. For instance we had some customers with a better upload than a download.

In the end though the service really did suck. Frequent outages, slightly higher prices than the big players (SBC) and their equipment wasn't set up correctly in the CO anyway. It was really half assed and yes even duct taped in some instances.

I ended up quitting because they decided to chew my ass for something that wasn't my fault. They also refused to pay me my last couple weeks salary, but I've got that problem licked now. Went to the State of Michigan, the state doesn't like it when you don't pay your employees. It can even be a federal offense in some circumstances. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 2:32 pm 
Young
Young

Hi, i'm from Italy and i have a question......

In Italy for DSL 4(500Kb per second) Megabit in download and 320 Kilobyte (20 Kb per second) in upload usually you must pay near 25$ per mounth.

How mutch in USA or others country? I wolud like to know if is it true that in Italy is the most exensive al over the world....

Thx Andrea

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 5:23 pm 
Posting Whore
Posting Whore

Shit if I had to pay $25 bucks a month I'd be all over that. Here in Colorado, USA I pay $49.99 a month.

My best friend pays $39.99 a month for her DSL. I think that is the average here for DSL.

Dev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 4:48 am 
Young
Young

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 12:19 pm 
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

ya its steep

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:44 pm 
Young
Young

don't say nothing! I am paying 30$ for 12kb/s with proxy server which is limited to 1 mb per downloads.And it's speed is 12-90kb/s