Ryandor.com

Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:05 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:24 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

oh, yea. However, the QGLwidget has those events trapped for me all ready. Also, recall, this program works equally well on unix. So , I wouldn't want to add something that would make it OS specific. It is the reason I use QT in the first place. So I dont have to worry about the OS and yet get the basic framework.

I actually thought I had the wheel mapped to something, but perhaps that was for some other program (or a different version).

The person I build this for, didn't have a wheel if I remember, so wasn't a pressing issue for me.

But yes, wheel mapping in QT is trivial, just need to fill in the event it delivers. But at any rate, those tools are a thing of the past anyway. There where quite a few optimziations that I had that where in the client (parallel development) that never got retrofitted back into these tools (development stopped).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:38 pm 
Peanut Gallery
Peanut Gallery

You do not plan to update this program any further, if I understand you correctly.

If that is the case, is the source available? I do not know QT, but I would like to learn, and I am already very well off in my knowledge of OpenGL and C++, and I would not mind trying my hand at an improvement or two, should I keep interest long enough to do so.

Post subject: Never say Never
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:44 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

I have no plans on updating them today, yes.

I haven't really a pressing need. Few use them, and even fewer have reported something they wanted changed. I do of course dabble from time to time on them, and incorperate them in diffrent incarnations.

However, the source was always available for all of them:Map Editor, Multi Editor, MLTPlacer, etc. If I continue them or not, one is always free to modify them, etc.

I believe Ryandor grabbed them all and put is up here somewhere before the harddrive got wiped.

The editors probably wont be the best for learning QT. There is little QT in them. The MLTPlacer is probably more QT intensive if I recall correctly.

Another QT exclusive is Wolfpaw, a GM tool I am redoing for Lonewolf (available on the lonewolf forums). That is exclusive QT (no OpenGL). HOwever, it is more of a hack, just something to fill up time. I really didn't give much forward thinking on that piece of code (not as though one can see a lot of thinking on any of the projects I do).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:50 pm 
Peanut Gallery
Peanut Gallery

Ha, I know the feeling.

So you are playing with Lonewolf now, not UOX? I myself just downloaded and fixed the source to compile in MS VC++ 2005 Express Edition. I could not get UOX to operate predictably on my dual-core system, but Lonewolf has been running fine. The downside being that it does not compile so easily on Linux, it does not seem to like to play with custom maps (the different static size confuses it for some reason), and it seems to leave a lot of hanging objects that go away upon reboot.

Post subject: Playing
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:10 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Well, I find lonewolf to be simpilier to "play" with.

UOX is just too messy for me. If one wants something that is advanced (which I think UOX is attempting to get to), it should step back with some far more fundemental basics. Otherwise, revel in simplicity (which lonewolf does pretty well). If one wants complex, there are "better" emus available (runuo, wolfpack, pol, etc). So not clear for me, if one gains much but winds up "paying" a lot.

And of course, on UOX, I get reminded how I have "earned" the right to be treated poorly. It isn't a place that is open to oppossing ideas for even discussion.

Duke has asked me a few times to redo Wolfpaw (Thrawn got busy, couldn't maintain it). My concern is I don't run a shard, so I know long term, a GM tool isn't the thing for me to do. However, it seemed easy enough to redo the tool in mingw/QT without dependencies on other controls (map image, animation image, etc), so others could keep it up if one wanted to. An easy distraction.

It is unfortunate that one can't find a group of people willing to establish some starting points, and go from there. \

Few recall but UOX was suppose to be far more maintainable in its new form versus the old one. Cleary, those working on it, are more familair, so it probably is. But at the core, in my opinon, it didn't succeed on that goal (in fact, the main thing it accomplished was Javascript ability). Wolfpack is the result of the same goal, with diffrent results (they pretty much accomplished the goal, it has a far cleaner base).

But yea, I pretty much like to dabble. Anything that keeps me exposed to new things, and ideas. I don't even mind totally redoing (as I did with the map editor), if I get to try a new idea/approach/language.

At any rate, I think for a server project, even if one wanted to start from scatch, having tools available to build the data sets would be benifical. So I don't see anything I am doing here as wasted. Just exposing to new ideas. pros and cons of hte differnt formats and approaches of the different emus.

I think somewhere on my Mac is the source by the way, if you cant find it here. I believe I have a non Objective C version (e.g. C++/QT) lying around on that harddrive. So if you can't find it around, let me know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:23 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Punt,

I don't know if this would interest you or not, but one thing that is really needed is a decent animation editor that can easily be configured to work with future anim.mul files (perhaps through a config file). The only decent one I am aware of is in TDV MulPatcher, and that one has some limitations and only supports writing to anim.mul.

An animation editor that optionally used body.def and bodyconv.def (so you could tell which slots were truly empty) would be even better.

One that would also allow copying between animation slots (and between different animation files) would be better yet!

And an animation editor that also allowed for easy adding of new equipment, etc. by assigning the correct ID's to the gumps and tile art at the same time would be killer!

I just thought I'd mention it in case it perked your interest since animations are one of the only areas you haven't hit much in your utilities so far. Might make for a minor diversion or challenge. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:35 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

hehe, I had to get the animations for Wolfpaw (so when you clicked on a npc, it would show the model. and yes, that does use the bodyconf.dev and body.def files). Didn't do the layers yet however in wolfpaw (so the npcs are naked).

I believe an amination editor would be far more then just updating the anim files. One really needs to establish a "template" frame that one positions the image in (for the true issue is getting all the frame and anim alignments the same).

Oh well, yea, just another thing to do. Actually, after my experience with Orbsydia, I will probably tend to stay away from general utilities.

What I will probably do , is work on on a graphical item editor for Lonewolf. That is something I could probably easily translate to something usable for a server project later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:50 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

A pity, there are only a few good programmers out there working on this stuff. Animation editing has always been one of the least explored areas so far as the utilities go. I'd do it myself but I'm nowhere near that skill level just yet.

Hey, while we're talking about animations, I have a programming question that maybe you could answer?

I'm messing around with the Ultima SDK written by Krrios and I'm trying to update it to work with the newer animation files. This is written in C# and I know that's not really what you work with, but I am assuming that the basic definitions for the file formats are pretty much the same between platforms.

I'm trying to figure out how to get the last 2 values (int length and int file). I'm not sure what those values represent or how to interpret them and find them so that I can add anim3.mul, anim4.mul, and anim5.mul to the DLL.

Here's some of the relevent code...

Code:
   public class Animations
   {
      private static FileIndex m_FileIndex = new FileIndex( "Anim.idx", "Anim.mul", 0x40000, 6 );
      public static FileIndex FileIndex{ get{ return m_FileIndex; } }

private static FileIndex m_FileIndex2 = new FileIndex( "Anim2.idx", "Anim2.mul", 0x10000, -1 );
      public static FileIndex FileIndex2{ get{ return m_FileIndex; } }

private static FileIndex m_FileIndex3 = new FileIndex( "Anim3.idx", "Anim3.mul", 0x20000, -1 );
      public static FileIndex FileIndex3{ get{ return m_FileIndex; } }

Code:
      public FileIndex( string idxFile, string mulFile, int length, int file )
      {
         m_Index = new Entry3D[length];

string idxPath = Client.GetFilePath( idxFile );
         string mulPath = Client.GetFilePath( mulFile );

if ( idxPath != null && mulPath != null )
         {
            using ( FileStream index = new FileStream( idxPath, FileMode.Open, FileAccess.Read, FileShare.Read ) )
            {
               BinaryReader bin = new BinaryReader( index );
               m_Stream = new FileStream( mulPath, FileMode.Open, FileAccess.Read, FileShare.Read );

int count = (int)(index.Length / 12);

for ( int i = 0; i < count && i < length; ++i )
               {
                  m_Index[i].lookup = bin.ReadInt32();
                  m_Index[i].length = bin.ReadInt32();
                  m_Index[i].extra = bin.ReadInt32();
               }

for ( int i = count; i < length; ++i )
               {
                  m_Index[i].lookup = -1;
                  m_Index[i].length = -1;
                  m_Index[i].extra = -1;
               }
            }
         }

Entry5D[] patches = Verdata.Patches;

for ( int i = 0; i < patches.Length; ++i )
         {
            Entry5D patch = patches[i];

if ( patch.file == file && patch.index >= 0 && patch.index < length )
            {
               m_Index[patch.index].lookup = patch.lookup;
               m_Index[patch.index].length = patch.length | (1 << 31);
               m_Index[patch.index].extra = patch.extra;
            }
         }
      }
   }

Think you can help me understand this a bit better?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:58 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

the file variable seems to be the old verdata code to represent its patch code (the verdata code of 6 use to mean was patching anim.mul). So the reason the others are -1, they have no code in the verdata (although one could extend it, for general purpose, since the client doesn't use it anymore.

the length appears to be the number of indexes (/12) that is being used.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:24 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

How would I calculate the number of indexes? I'm not sure how to get that value for new anim.mul files (anim3.mul, anim4.mul, etc.)

Post subject: Re: Playing
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:36 pm 
Peanut Gallery
Peanut Gallery

punt1959 wrote:
And of course, on UOX, I get reminded how I have "earned" the right to be treated poorly. It isn't a place that is open to oppossing ideas for even discussion.

Really? That surprises me, since I have always thought you were practically worshiped there. I suppose I do not pay much attention.

As for the rest of what you said, I completely agree. In addition, I have come to your line of thinking about scripting languages in general, and one of the main reasons why I am not using the new UOX is the fact that it uses a scripting language when the source is available.

Lonewolf seems very nice, but have you gotten it to compile in Linux, by chance? I have access to a 24/7 T1 host, if I could get it to compile on Linux. If not, I may use POL (which seems to be the best emulator in terms of customizability versus number of difficult-to-fix bugs that runs on Linux), though I would much prefer to use Lonewolf since it is open-source.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:55 pm 
Not your daddy
Not your daddy

I have always wondered why POL never went open source. I would have probly gone back to it if the source was avaliable. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:23 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

hehe, no, I am far from "worshipped" at UOX. I was one of the few to voice an opposing viewpoint when UOX first went into to its two year "closed big build " phase, of how it would result in lost interest, lack of compatability, etc. I was personally attacked, and some believe it was my doing that resulted in a major part of lack of UOX popularity. So no, far from worshiped.

Lonewolf on linux. Well,it use to, that use to be what I did, was keep it working on linux. But I admit, I haven't really tried in a long time. And I dont really use linux anymore (now that I have the Mac, that is my unix machine). I only use the emu to test out tools, etc, so windows is ok for that. You might post however, for I know a few do use it on linux (and usul compiles regularly on bsd for it).

Hope you got the link to the source for the map editor: http://www.ragedcom.com/punt/wfmapsrc.rar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:30 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Rant to punt, offtopic;

The forums at uox3.org are open to discussion of opposing ideas, and you will most definitely not be treated poorly for doing so. They will never turn into the uox3 forums of old, or the current runuo/sphere forums. If they ever do, despite my best efforts, I'll shut them down for good. I don't believe a single one of your posts there so far have been "put down" or berated in any way? Or am I wrong on that account?

As for your issues in the IRC channel - I would just like to state, for the record, that I didn't just object to the comments directed at xir, but also equally to those directed at you. And you should realize that said comments/attitude originated with one individual, not "UOX3" in it's entirety.

If not, perhaps you should just close the channel down (as is your right, you created it), then we can form a new one only loosely connected with UOX3 so whatever is said in it won't be forever more attributed to "UOX3".

punt1959 wrote:
UOX is just too messy for me. If one wants something that is advanced (which I think UOX is attempting to get to), it should step back with some far more fundemental basics. Otherwise, revel in simplicity (which lonewolf does pretty well). If one wants complex, there are "better" emus available (runuo, wolfpack, pol, etc). So not clear for me, if one gains much but winds up "paying" a lot.

I'd like to hear you elaborate on this, please. The javascript engine isn't to blame for most of the bugs present in UOX3 right now, it's barely connected to most of the hardcoded systems. So why is it so bad to extend the functionality of the server through such a scripting engine? As someone with very limited knowledge of C/C++, the JS engine has allowed me to extend functionality myself very easily without requesting that other coders to do it for me. Or in the case of bugs, fix them myself by recreating the functionality in JS instead of staring desperately at mysterious sourcecode without having a clue what to do.

Examples:
-Static Housing
-Wandering Healers that heal wounded players
-Archery buttes which track how many points you have, how many arrows you've shot
-A "Ranger AI" which can track creatures for you, or warn about nearby/incoming enemies
-Custom mining system (barely related to normal UO mining in function and methods)
-A possess-script which lets GMs "take control" of targeted NPCs (virtually, by turning into a near-perfect clone of the NPC and hiding it from view until unpossessed)
-New GM commands to either support easier worldbuilding (repeating commands, like 'RADD # which adds a specific item over and over and over again at targeted locations), or as quest-tools for GMs
-Ingame version of WorldBuilder, driven through the gump-system. Granted, it's not finished - but then neither is the non-integrated version ;P

I wouldn't see any of those in UOX3 right now on my own local server if it weren't for the JS engine.

Sorry for this blatant digression from the original topic of this thread.

Post subject: Reponse to Xuri
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:59 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Xuri,

hehe, yea, I am the senstive type these days.

No question, the forums of today are not like of "old". I addressed the point of "being worshiped" My treatment of old is relavent to addressing that statement.

No question UOX3 no longer treats people as a whole with a cavialar and demeaning atitude. yes, that has changed for the most part. Of course, recently the make up has changed, and I have seen indication of such disgressions occuring (profanity in topic line, etc). Yes, that may be attributed to one or so individuals. However, those are the individiuals you asked to have such priveledges.

However, yes, perhaps I made it seem worse then it is in general. Of course, worship was such a strong word, and I am percieved in the UOX3 world so far from that.....

But I will attribute it to being overly strong.

Let me just say, I am not worshipped.

As for your remarks about closing down the irc channel. I haven't seen a need to. I personally would like to keep a place that I can come to without havnig to be banned for just not saying what one wants to hear. However, I respect your desire to have whatever people with whatever priveldges in there. I have never edited, nor kicked, nor banned from that channel. So I dont see my closing or not the channel have any impariment on UOX3 (as I dont factor in the channel anyway). However, recall that the issue was that if in that channel, the person was objection to mention of anything but UOX3. Now personally, I disagreed with xir's approach (not necessary what was said, but how and when). However, the bulk of the rant was toward me, which wasn't even answering a persons question.

I do have a question though. Since the comments of one person isn't attributed to UOX3, when is any? When it comes from you? gwio? at some point, the members make up the "entity". so I am truely curious, on this point.

Now to your messy.
I wasn't saying the JS engine iteself is messy. Let me try this again.

UOX classic and Lonewolf are relatively simple. With that simpicity comes a lot of limitations. Howver, it is fairly easy to setup, run, and even debug. For the most part, LW is pretty bug free (relatively).

Then there are the "complex" emu's. That is far more then the scripting engine. From those, you have Wolfpack, UOX, Runuo, and POL.

If you look at the source base of three of those emu's (POL is closed), one's base is quite "messy" (again, an opnion). Wolfpack and Runuo have far cleaner code bases.

Now, the current "scripts" that emu are seeing aren't really scripts (higher level). In fact C# is the code itself. JS is pretty low level as well. The point is , they are exposed a tad more oriented to use by humans. the internal code base could have been laid out more oderly as well. But this is not a statement against or for "complex" emu's. People clearly like them, so be it. I stated that of the complex, UOX was the messiest. And for my purposes (tools, etc), I don't need a : 1. A complex one. 2. A messy one.

Hopefully that clarifies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:09 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

You may not be worshipped, but you're certainly not disliked by as many people as you may think either. I wish you had a longer attention span for your own projects though. Some of those projects have rocked, then suddenly you've backed up to start again to redesign and even changed the project completely :P (Worldforge/Worldmaker, for instance. One has functionality the other doesn't have.) =)

Why does a comment of one person EVER have to be attributed to a certain "entity"? Whatever happened to "These feelings and opinions are my own as an individual, they do in no way represent the attitude of the company/project/entity"? I mean if it was included in the project changelog, or in a project news header, or a press release - that'd be fairly representative for the "project attitude". *shrug*

Thanks for that clarification.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:19 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Xuri wrote:
You may not be worshipped, but you're certainly not disliked by as many people as you may think either.

hehe, well, I know of two active people in UOX. One of those, I even got emails way back from spewing personal attacks. AS well as forum attacks. yes, that was a long time ago, but then, never a word to the other wise. But yea, probably parnoid.
I will tell you what. Your point is well taken. I will make an honest attempt to not have as much predispositoin to things based on past actions (mine and others).

Quote:
I wish you had a longer attention span for your own projects though. Some of those projects have rocked, then suddenly you've backed up to start again to redesign and even changed the project completely :P (Worldforge/Worldmaker, for instance. One has functionality the other doesn't have.) =)

Well, yea, I admit my attention span wanders, once I get to the point I technically understand it. Worldforge was the throw away model (I always expect the first attempt is the learning one, be prepared to throw it away). WorldMaker, is pretty solid, with some excpetions. As toward functionalit. Not sure what is missing. Unless some aspect I probably didn't understand how to implement well. But always open to new ideas.
that is one advantage of having a team. It keeps the other motivated! Working alone, it is easy to lose focus, interest, etc. But thruthfully, it is the only "suite" that I now of that is end to end.

Quote:
Why does a comment of one person EVER have to be attributed to a certain "entity"? Whatever happened to "These feelings and opinions are my own as an individual, they do in no way represent the attitude of the company/project/entity"? I mean if it was included in the project changelog, or in a project news header, or a press release - that'd be fairly representative for the "project attitude". *shrug*

Thanks for that clarification.

Ok, but most are always individuals, that do get associated! But I take this to be the same as your above point. ANd I will make an honest effort. The point is well taken.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:24 pm 
Not your daddy
Not your daddy

Theres not going to be any makeup kissing or anything here, is there guys? :?

*runs to hide*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:44 pm 
Posting Whore
Posting Whore

Group hugs maybe? :P

Dev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:46 pm 
Not your daddy
Not your daddy

ahh, crap.. now Im probably in trouble 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:29 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

HellRazor wrote:
How would I calculate the number of indexes? I'm not sure how to get that value for new anim.mul files (anim3.mul, anim4.mul, etc.)

I think this may have gotten lost in the latest wave of posts. :) Anyone know how this is done?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:01 am 
Not your daddy
Not your daddy

LOL, now thats bad when you gotta quote yourself to get noticed !

sorry man.. uhh.. *looks around for Punt*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:59 am 
Peanut Gallery
Peanut Gallery

On the subject of messiness, I would have to agree with punt. I think there are just two different definitions of "messy" going on here, is all.

What punt and I call "messy" in UOX is the source-code, because it is both complex and nearly completely lacks any kind of design documentation or way of quickly understanding it. This is not a complaint so much about bugs, but it does make finding and fixing them much harder, as well as expanding and tweaking the code-base in general more difficult.

Lonewolf is far from well-thought-out in terms of quality-of-code still, far less so than the current UOX version, but it does not include a scripting language, does not include very many fancy features, and thus is extremely simple to wrap your mind around and fix/upgrade yourself.

I would much prefer to use an open-source emulator with no scripting language than one with a scripting language because it makes the source-code much easier to understand and I do not have to figure out where each feature is implemented (in source, in script, or worse, in both), it seems more consistent, and completely unnecessary to have a scripting language when you can edit the source out-right.

As for inclusion of JS in UOX3 -- sure, great idea, but I do not like it because I, unlike most users, know C++ and do not need or want it. :-P