Ryandor.com

Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:12 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 7:20 pm 
Young
Young

NOTE - This may have already been posted, but I am way too lazy to search for it.

Alright!... First, it is great that you have taken intrest in creating a custom map for Ultima Online! Thumbs up! High Five! Yeah, okay... you get the point? Well, I'm just going to address a few things about the map making...

To begin, Dragon is the best tool (in my opinion) for map building! Anywho, if you are have a custom map then you will need to go to your Ultima Online folder and copy these files:

map0.mul
statics0.mul
staidx0.mul

* The files above are for editting the Felucca map. Notice the '0' in each of the file names. It represents the map's designated number. Each map has a different number. For further information on editting Ilshenar, Malas, and Tokuno, check the Map Making Help forum.

Okay, now that we have our files we will want to create a back up copy. What I do is make a folder called 'Ultima Online Backup Files' and paste the copied files in it. Make sure you put it somewhere safe! Once you have done this, create another set of the same files in a different directory (I just pasted mine onto the desktop for easy access.) Now, this part is important so listen up. Open Dragon and DragonSP and select the paths (read the Map Making Guide in the site's Guides section for more information.) You will want your paths to be set to the files we pasted on the desktop (you may have pasted them somewhere else, but that is fine.) Dragon and DragonSP will write onto the files now. Okay, now go to your RunUO folder. Let's add a folder and call it 'My Custom Map.' Go back to the files we wrote over with the Dragon programs (again, the files we placed on the desktop...) and copy and paste them into our 'My Custom Map' folder. We are nearly finished, so listen up! Go to your RunUO folder again, select Scripts, Misc, and the file called DataPath. Now, open up DataPath and verify your custom path:

using System;
using System.IO;
using Microsoft.Win32;
using Server;

namespace Server.Misc
{
public class DataPath
{
/* If you have not installed Ultima Online,
* or wish the server to use a seperate set of datafiles,
* change the 'CustomPath' value, example:
* private const string CustomPath = @"C:\Program Files\Ultima Online";
*/
private static string CustomPath = @"C:\Program Files\RunUO Software Team\RunUO 1.0 RC0\My Custom Map";

Okay, now that we have our path set 'My Custom Map', we need to go back into the 'My Custom Map' folder and copy our files there. Then, go to the directory with your main UO files, the one you got your .mul files from! Paste the files we copied from 'My Custom Map' into the folder. Note - Doing this action will overwrite the files (which we have backed up) and add our custom files. When entered any other shard the map will be the one you created, but such is the way of the custom map. Now, the process if completed!... Run your server and log in!...

If you have any questions or anything, just reply. I am new to this myself in a way and I just completed this process with success!

Staff, experienced developers, and map builders --- please reply if any of my statements are wrong. I want this to be a correct tutorial on adding maps!

Last edited by AdminVolmo on Mon Nov 29, 2004 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 5:21 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Nice tutorial!

Since this is specific to the RunUO emulator you might want to edit the topic to read "Adding a custom map in RunUO"! Less confusing to non-RunUO users that way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 7:01 pm 
Young
Young

Oh, sorry about that, lol. I have to remember that not everyone runs RunUO! Thanks for the feedback!... I tried hard! Heehee.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:35 pm 
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

do you mind if i make a copy of this incase this one gets lost.... your name will be all over it of course

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:33 pm 
Young
Young

Oh, sorry I haven't been able to reply in a while. I don't mind if anyone distributes my copy in any way. It will be there for people to modify and such. I just wanted to help out the UO Worldbuilding community as there are a lot of people with excellent ideas that need to be exposed!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:46 pm 
Newb
Newb

UO and RunUO have both been upgraded since these posts were made. Could anyone post a new tutorial for RunUO?
I've done all that this tutorial said, but my map hasnt changed at all.

TIA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:08 pm 
Not your daddy
Not your daddy

This tutorial is still up to date with any changes made to RunUO.

If you are running WinXP you should make completely sure that the read only protection is disabled on the Ultima Online folder to start with. Even though you manage to swap out the files in there, they will not be read. (in some cases) So start there. Otherwise, double check your work again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:56 am 
Young
Young

i still cannot find where to just download regular dragon is dragon mod 11 the same?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:17 pm 
Master
Master

http://www.ryandor.com/index.php?categoryid=9&p13_sectionid=2

Thats the link to all the dragon downloads, Dragon Mod11 is the most up to date version of dragon.

This thread should be stickied!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:11 pm 
Young
Young

i dont know if anyone is still watching this thread but i thought id ask anyways, i made a map and did all this but i tried to compile my map and it says that i need 8 bits per pixel for my map to be compil,ed how do i make it so my map is? im using adobe photoshop btw

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 2:14 pm 
Young
Young

If you are using photoshop, you need to go to image-mode-indexed color and use one of the custom palletes in the dragon addons folder. Then save it as a bmp.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 6:01 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Right, the image has to be saved as a 256 color indexed bitmap.