Ryandor.com

Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:43 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Forest techniques
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 2:44 pm 
Young
Young

I'm very curious about making forests techniques you are using. I am new in Dragon and i want to learn how to make nice, not to simple forest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 5:21 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Well there are different ways of how to create forests, it really depends on what you want your forest look like.

I guess you're using photoshop (or something equal) to map, so try differend brush-types. Two good ways are:

1. Take a Brush with a random pattern and draw it on your grass tiles.
You will notice that not every point will be filled by useing this method. This makes the forest (in my opinion) look more interesting and real.

2. Take a brush with a small diameter and draw the forests contour, then fill it with the forest color of your height. Without haveing any free spaces the forests will become rather "crowded", depedning on what you have defined in dragon's item placer file.

If you use the second method you will get a really ugly border and often your forest will look too "perfect". Try a random pattern and make the border a little more "uneven".

Of course there are other possibilities out there, almost everyone will get his own style to draw something based on his experiences. If it looks good and finished for you, and you are satisfied with it, then it is okay.

regards,
Ya

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 9:30 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

i draw the forest, select it with the magic wand, and use on of the brushes included in mod 9 to make random holes. then i zoom way in and make the borders more wavy but smooth. i also make sure there are no single stray pixels sticking out anywhere like with coasts. looks alot better to me after you run it through dragon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 12:42 pm 
Young
Young

Thanks for advices :-) I hope my forest will look like real forest, not like plant by the human :-)